Suunto Cobra Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A couple of Cobra questions:

I noticed that the Suunto website has the 2.1.3 version of Suunto Dive Manager available under the Cobra downloads. Anyone try it yet? I recall hearing some problems a couple months ago when the new SDM version came out for the D9 (??). Not like I want someone to walk thru the minefield ahead of me or anything..... :eyebrow:

Also, anyone know how to find the serial number of the Cobra?

Hi serial Number is inside the cover on the unit, as for the down load I am not much help as I down load my dives after a big trip or once or twice a year as I teach a lot with the unit on and end up with hundreds of 3 foot and 12 foot dives.

I used the current version of the SDM to download from my vytec with no problems. I sold my Cobra before I had a chance to try downloading it.

mccabejc:
A couple of Cobra questions:

I noticed that the Suunto website has the 2.1.3 version of Suunto Dive Manager available under the Cobra downloads. Anyone try it yet? I recall hearing some problems a couple months ago when the new SDM version came out for the D9 (??). Not like I want someone to walk thru the minefield ahead of me or anything..... :eyebrow:

Also, anyone know how to find the serial number of the Cobra?

I just d/l and imported my old SDM 1.x dive log. That took a while. The user interface is signficantly different. This is not just a minor bug fix/tweak. Editing is easier, but still a little cumbersome. Dive Site is not intelligent, only giving a drop down for the sites belonging to that Location....and there is no more of that annoying "Do you want to add record?" evertime you enter a new field nor does it ask if you want to save changes when you examine the detail of a dive. All in all, a signficant step in the right direction.

You also now have the ability to NAME a dive...not sure how/if I am going to use that.

the other thing that's changed is the view of the computer during a dive -- I played with it using some downloaded files from suuntosports.com, and they just displayed a generic readout that you had to click to get to change (rather than the one that looked like whatever computer was used in v.1).

Other than that fact, it seems to be a good step for Suunto -- and from what I've heard, it's now light years ahead of other manufacturers' software.

Downloaded it the other day and played with it a little and seems to be very good and easy to use. Can update and alter the settings on your D9 without having to go through the hassle of using the computer itself. I was impressed.

I am using the new software with my Cobra. It seems to be working ok. I imported my old dive log with 200 dives and have added maybe 25 new dives to the log using the new program. As others have said, the interface is very different. I have noticed several small bugs: 1) the average depth of the dive is wrong in the tabbed window; 2) the SAC display is correct in the graph, but wrong in the tabbed window; 3) you can't enter a factional cylindar size such as 77.6 cuft.

I've also used the new program to download dives from my Mosquito backup computer.

The SDM software will display the serial number of the Cobra in the dive computer settings tabbed window. I'm thinking that there is also a way to get at it directly on the Cobra in the menus but can't remember off the top of my head.

I found that, on some of the dives, the "weight" information shows up wrong when imported into 2.1.3. It's off by 1 lb. (low). In 1.6 it appears as 14 lbs, and in the new version it appears as 13 lbs.

I wish the "real time" air consumption worked with the Cobra. Now it just gives you a linear graph, apparently it's only using the starting and ending pressure in the calculation.

The other bug I've found is when entering info for dives that weren't done with the computer, the max depth field doesn't accept feet -- if it's set to display in feet, it means that whatever you enter there will be converted into feet...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom