Which backup computer do you think is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

by hosed, do you mean air integrated?

The best back up is between you ears

well... no computer is really connected to a hose unless they are air integrated.
otherwise, the computer just sits on a console (with a hose running to the
pressure gauge) or on your wrist

i think from context you mean a non-air-integrated, console mounted computer.

i would suggest mounting the Aeris Atmos 2. it's the one i use, it's cheap
(around $300) and it's an excellent computer.

but why are you worried about a back-up computer? you really don't need it.

kn the extremely unlikely event that the computer should fail,
you should be familiar with the air tables and deco issues to complete the dive safely.

salty:
The best back up is between you ears

Understood, I have just had my transmitter battery fail on two separate dive trips and I am getting a little concerned. I currently have a mini backup spg, but I am considering getting a completely redundant computer.

H2Andy:
well... no computer is really connected to a hose unless they are air integrated.
otherwise, the computer just sits on a console (with a hose running to the
pressure gauge) or on your wrist

i think from context you mean a non-air-integrated, console mounted computer.

i would suggest mounting the Aeris Atmos 2. it's the one i use, it's cheap
(around $300) and it's an excellent computer.

Yes air integrated. Thanks for your response.

well... if it's your transmitter battery you're worried about, it would make more
sense to switch to a non-air-integrated primary with an SPG.

simple and it works

H2Andy:
well... if it's your transmitter battery you're worried about, it would make more
sense to switch to a non-air-integrated primary with an SPG.

simple and it works

I can not do that... I really like the wrist mount and I really want redundancy as well, regardless if is conected directly or not.

If you like your Vytec, get a Suunto Cobra; almost identical to your Vytec (without the 3 mixes). Good sensible conservative air-integrated nitrox computer.

I haven't had any trouble with my Vytec sender in over 100 dives with it. When you first start using the Vytec it can be a little difficult to get the sender synchronised with the computer (the dreaded HP "fail") but you get better at this with practise. And once you work out the procedure to get around this if it happens it's a piece of cake.

Also don't sync until the last minute; the HP integration can switch itself off if the HP reading doesn't change after a certain period of time, or if you sync it then turn off the tank (and the pressure reading drops below 80bar, the minimum pressure at which it will sync).

If it's failing UNDERWATER then that's a different matter altogether and you need to get someone to look at it pronto.

People on internet fora go on and on (and on) about how wireless air integration is the work of the Devil and how it'll fail and you HAVE to have an SPG or you'll die. I'd take this with a pinch of salt as it has never proven to be the case.

I personally do use an SPG when diving twins in caves but don't see the need when I'm doing single tank dives.

SPGs aren't the be all and end all either. Very few people ever think about calibrating them. And SPGs fail too you know. Usually with a great big bang.

The only caveat on all of this is that I personally find the mounting arrangement for the HP sender onto your first stage a little worrying.

I have mine attached to a 7" HP hose like this http://www.users.on.net/~abowie/suunto.htm

Twins set up look like this http://www.users.on.net/~abowie/hose.htm

Back
Top Bottom