Kona DIR-F class report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Day 1, Monday:

It's 11 am, having just arrived in Kona direct from Kahului (Maui) I picked up my rental car and headed south down the highway following the directions Sarah had provided to her parents home, which would double as our classroom for the next 3 days. Their home was situated at approximately 1300 ft. above sea level on the slope of Mauna Loa. The unobstructed view of the landscape and ocean was the backdrop for our meeting area, but after closing the curtains Joe finally had our attention.

Our class was made up of 3 students, Sarah and Mike (who were planning on getting married the day after DIR-F - talk about a busy week for both of them!) myself and our instructor, Joe Talavera. We all had very different styles of notetaking and learning, with Mike quietly absorbing everything, Sarah asking lots of questions that we had either not thought of, or were to embarrassed to ask, and me with my digital recorder so I could over the lectures again at a later time (I don't "multi-task" as we would discover over the course of the next 3 days, so I rarely take written notes in class, I prefer to listen and focus on the lectures) Joe started off by having us share a bit of our diving background, which turned out to be pretty similar. None of us had more than 40 dives, making us new to the sport of SCUBA. Mike was just out of his BOW class and had the least "baggage" in terms of bad habits already formed. I, being an internet student probably had the most wrong ideas that needed to be corrected, but for the most part we were all pretty much blank slates in terms of our diving history.

Our first day Joe let us know what we were in for, explaining how we would proceed and the skills we would cover. We broke for a couple of hours, then followed up with an evening of dry land excercises and sizing our harnesses correctly (My harness required about 2-3 inches of tightening up on each side). There was a lot of laughter the first night as Joe's sense of humor set us at ease. We would discover the next day that the "academics" were the easy part - it was the execution of those academics over the next 2 days that would really stretch us and provide the learning opportunities we had come for.

That night after returning to my hotel in Kailua-Kona (about a 30 min. drive away) I checked into "Uncle Billy's resort" then climbed 4 flights of steps carrying my gearbag, laptop and duffel up to my room. I stood in my room practicing clipping off my spg and primary regulator to their appropriate D-rings over and over again until it came naturally (note to self: Practicing while standing is NOT the same as when you are horizontal in the water). I checked my gear over, then crawled into bed for a good nights sleep.

Day 2, Tuesday:

Due to a storm system which had been hanging over the state for nearly a week and causing high surf, Joe moved our swim test to the harbor in Kona. The good news for me was that this was only a 1/4 mile from where I was staying, so I was able to sleep in till about 7:45. We made our way to the sandy area and a calm pool sized area of water next to the Kona boat ramp. The water was (for Hawaii) a chilly 75 degrees as we stepped in, but it soon felt quite warm as we began moving around.

We started out with the 50ft swim. I volunteered to go first and after several deep breaths I dove under and surfaced just barely at the 50ft mark. Nothing impressive, but I had made it. Next was Sarah - she did her breathhold swim on the surface so I stood by the 50ft mark where I cheered her on.... unfortunately my cheering of "Keep going, you're almost there!!!!" was heard as "You are already there!" and she surfaced only a few feet short of the mark ... after my apologies she caught her breath and completed it without problem as did Mike... I kept my mouth shut after that. Years ago I had been on the swim team and spent nearly every day in the pool swimming for fun... but that was years ago ... While I go freediving frequently that uses different muscles. Still we all finished the 300 yard swim and while I won't tell you Sarah and Mike's times, I finished last in the group at 10 min. 46 seconds. Not fast, but at least under the 14min. time limit. It definitely felt good to work out those muscles which had lain relatively unused for so many years.

We walked back up the warm beach and discussed what would happen on the first dive. Joe explained that he would set up a line in triangle which we would follow. He would show us each of the 5 kicks, then have us repeat them while he video taped us. We followed him into the water and after a short surface swim through shallow water we submerged in a "deep" area (10 ft. depth). Joe gave us a few minutes to get our balance and find the "trim" we had discussed the night before in class. Then he began demonstrating the kicks. Forward, backward, pivoting etc. all came with seemingly natural ease...for Joe. Next we each tried to follow his example...let's just say when we exited the water we knew the bar had just been raised. Our exposure to buoyancy and trim in our BOW classes would need a lot of work. We each blamed the surge and the depth on our poor performance. Joe, in a very calm tone, explained that the surge was only about 5ft and that the real problem was our "need" to continually move instead of remaining motionless. Of course we didn't believe it, but he didn't say anymore about (he knew the video would show otherwise).

We drove to our classroom and moved quickly into what we all "wanted" [tongue in cheek] to see, the dreaded video. As we watched the video I realized it wasn't quite as bad as I had perceived it, but as we finished up Sarah pointed out "did any of you notice the surge?" I thought about it and realized that in the video it was imperceptable, but what was very perceptable was my constant motion and finning. Each tiny movement pushing me further from where I wanted to be. Joe took the time to point out where we each had suceeced in the day, sometimes only for a brief moment in time, but at least we had each been there some of the time. Then he also pointed out our bad habits - mine was a constant tendancy to be positive and a need to keep my knees up and fins flat instead of pointed up toward the sky. None of it seemed to be insurmountable to me, but then again all we had been doing was finning. That was as simple as walking down the sidewalk... tomorow we would add the "chewing gum" aspect... which is what would ultimately give me my most trouble.

I arrived back at my hotel room quite tired and ready to sleep. Tomorrow will be better I told myself as I drifted off to sleep.

[continued in next post]

Day 3, Wednesday:

I had read many other class reports from DIR-F and it seemed that most folks reported everything coming together on the second day of diving...I was hoping this would be the case for me as well, unfortunately it seemed more like everything came unravelled for me this day.

We started off the day at the public pool since the water had been so choppy the day before, unfortunately due to circumstances beyond our control we could not use the pool. We drove back to the harbor and looked it over. It was flat! Wonderful, maybe that meant our initial dive spot we had wanted to use (Near City of Refuge) would be usable as well. I was willing to chance the 30 minute drive to the location in the hopes that it would be good. The group agreed and off we went thinking we would just go straight back to the classroom after the dive. We arrived at the site but it was still too rough for our comfort in making a safe entry/exit on a rocky beach. So we made the drive back into town. It was nearly lunch time before we got started. We went through our pre-dive checks on the beach, then headed into the water to join Joe at the upline he had established.

I would love to say that everything went smoothly, however speaking for myself (I can't say for Sarah or Mike) I felt less mentally alert during each of our 3 dives this day - my communication skills seemed to degrade as the day wore on, muscles began cramping more readily (dehydration) and by the end of the day I was completely frustrated with my in-water skills. Now understand, I am by no means an experienced diver, but what little skill I felt I had seemed to quickly evaporate into thin ...water? I could go into a lot of detail as to exactly how bad I got, but instead I'll just say that as we drove back to the classroom I began wondering to myself "do I even belong in the water?" Mostly this was due to my seemingly inability to keep track of more than one thing at a time. It was today that I earned the nickname "huh?" Unfortunately my ability to focus is also the direct cause of my inability to multitask. I am the type of person that can focus on a single task for hours at a time (I can easily spend 12-18 hours on a single task when at work) but give me two things to keep track of and unless I'm really fresh and alert everything falls apart. Which was the case this day. Buoyancy, trim, breathing, kicking, airshare? You gotta be kidding...

We got back to the house, cleaned up the gear and ate a wonderful dinner which Sarah's Mother had prepared for all of use (She was kind enough to feed all of us every night, and some great food at that) We went down to the classroom to finish up our last lecture and video time. The room was much quieter than previous days, even Joe appeared more subdued and tired after the days events. But he was going to make the most of the time he had with us. In the absence of our laughter Joe put in the tape and this time his gentle demeanor was greatly appreciated. Instead of simply pointing out mistakes he did what a great teacher should do, teach. As we went through the video he took each mistake and turned it into a learning experience instead of a discouraging one. While I had arrived at the class this night quite discouraged he turned it into determination. He gave me the glimmer of hope that I needed to take home with me. I knew that while the skills we had practiced were not yet mine, they one day would be.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. Thanks to those of you here on Scubaboard that introduced me to DIR and the GUE !

Tim - sounds like a typical DIRF course. Hang in there - the real work starts after the course. Thanks for the posts - really good updates.

Tim,

Great report!

Glad you had a great experience with Fundamentals. Keep working and you will master the skills... then you can start squaring away those Maui operators! :wink:

Let us know how you progress.

-mer

Thanks everybody - I'm diligently working on what I was taught (still being learned :wink: ) today I finally felt like I had a handle on my buoyancy, my buddy commented after the dive "you really nailed your bouyancy... except when you shot your noodle thingy" (DSMB at the end of the dive per our predive briefing) - so as long as I focus on one thing I seem to do ok, but add in anything else and I lose it - lol. I was even able to do an "ok" backward kick today, so it's all slowly coming together.

To top it off I went into my LDS today to discuss a rescue class with their instructor and had a great conversation with the two guys that work at the shop. One of the instructors has a good handle on DIR and likes it, it just isn't "for him" (hard to teach within the PADI framework and DIR simultaneously). Still he is a great encouragement and reminds me when I'm making gear choices that are not conducive to the DIR philosophy. We were able to introduce the other instructor to the concept of DIR today and he seems ok with helping me continue my pursuit of it within their course offerings.

So not a bad way to spend easter between church services. . . 75 minute dive and 90 minutes at the LDS ...sometimes is great being a bachelor:D

Aloha, Tim

Kidspot,
Great report. For what it's worth I was 'diving' a couple of days ago. I was really hopeless - I was all over the place- no trim, no buoyancy control, kicked up more *rap than there was water and to top it all had a backup reg freeflow. I've often wondered why I unleash myself in the water but then a voice comes out- "Ah you love it" so I ponder this a while before my next bout of incompetence - no matter how bad you think you did there's always worse! and if you saw me in the water you'd see living proof.
Best wishes

Exactly - we love it! I find everytime I'm in the water I want to be there more often...

btw - if anyone is interested here is a short clip from the class - it's short because I don't have permission to show anyone else from the class but me, and there was only 1.5 min. of me without anyone else in the frame. I wish I could show some of my bigger mistakes, but for what it's worth, enjoy :wink: http://www.kidspot.org/personal/TD_at_DIR-F.ram

Tim

Thanks for that view Tim. I'm really looking forward to taking the class within the next couple months.

I have a quick question. Knowing the problem with practicing skills badly and having to unlearn them later, it also seems to me that by getting the "easy stuff" out of the way before the class would allow more efficient focus on the "hard stuff" during the class.

That said, what would you recommend in terms of pre-class preparation and practice? What specific skill would it have helped the most to have perfected beforehand?

Hey Radinator,

I asked the same question and was "frustrated" when people told me not to concentrate on learning things ahead of time... Now I understand why - there were so many things that needed to be shown/demonstrated which if practiced wrongly would just need correcting. For example - Once my harness had been readjusted it changed my center of gravity, which meant I had to re-do my weighting, relearn my trim position/posture, etc.. And the change was only 2 inches shorter on either side, not a big difference. But it wasn't until yesterday's dive (third dive after DIR-F) that I got my trim weights redistributed properly again. But I couldn't tell until I had put into practice the things Joe showed us.

The best "skill" I could have used is "multi-tasking" for the task-loading that was involved. When people tell you not to take DIR-F in order to get a cert or to pass it, they REALLY mean it... I thought I understood that ahead of time, but really didn't till it was all over...

The further away from the class I get, the more value I see in it. I hope the same is true for you when you take it.

In the video you'll notice a couple of my bad habits - being positively bouyant, and pointing my fins up instead of keeping them flat to create more resistence and reduce bouyancy changes.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. let us know how it goes for you in your class...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom