Mares X-Visions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nshon

Contributor
Reaction score
I give up on these. After 20 dives there are still fogging and worse of all they leak for fun! They are just not right for me, make sure you try them on in your LDS before you buy any mask. They go into the BC pocket as a spare mask now. Back to my OEM no brand $10 mask which works for me.

nshon:
I give up on these. After 20 dives there are still fogging and worse of all they leak for fun! They are just not right for me, make sure you try them on in your LDS before you buy any mask. They go into the BC pocket as a spare mask now. Back to my OEM no brand $10 mask which works for me.

I've found the X-Vision fits many face sizes/variations but not all. Are you sure the leak is coming from around the skirt and not from one of the lens seating surfaces. I've seen a couple that needed the lens removed and reseated in the frame to stop the leak.

As far as the fogging goes, you must be diligent in your initial lens cleaning especially with Mares masks. If you don't remove the coating left over from manufacturing you'll never have a fog-free dive. I usually recommend cleaning three times with toothpaste and leaving the third application of toothpaste on to dry then buff out with a soft cloth.

I have had this mask for about two years. I love it though I wish that it had a standard sized mask strap. I already am having difficulting in finding a spare to put in my safety kit.

While I was initially concerned about what looks like a barely adequate attachment for the strap adjustment buckle to the mask, it is still going like new there as well. I guess this part just does not look as substantial as some other brands.

I will agree that these masks tend to fog more than any other mask I have ever had. I have cleaned them with toothpaste (it is what I use for my defog anyway) many times. It does finally seem to be getting somewhat better after 100-150 dives.

The mask is the most comfortable I have ever used, and it allows the greatest field of vision I have ever seen in balance with low volume. I have never had a problem with it sealing on my face whether with or without a hood. I have never had any leaking issues at all.

In the end, like everything else about dive equipment, each thing has its pluses and minuses. I still think the pluses come out ahead with the Mares X-Vision.

Last mask I bought, toothpaste would do nothing for. I finally found a post where someone recommended using Bon Ami (costs about 79 cent for a can at the grocery store). That took care of it once and for all.

Jason

ScubaDadMiami:
I have had this mask for about two years. I love it though I wish that it had a standard sized mask strap. I already am having difficulting in finding a spare to put in my safety kit.

Divers Direct have replacement straps in stock for this mask, usually. Got mine there no problem.

I am sorry to hear that you don't enjoy your X-Vision. My works perfectly for me.

I have been warned by the dive shop regarding Mares' fogging problem if not treated properly when newly bought. I left the toothpaste dry out after applying it. Then rub it light with a soft cloth and wash it out. Fog is never a problem for me.

I thought I might have overdone the pre-treatment bit if anything. Scrubbed with a toothpaste, left to dry, repeat 3 times and left shampoo to dry overnight, wash and repeat 3 times. Maybe that's what did the damage!

I really like the look of the mask but after going back to the no-namer and enjoying a dive without having to clear my mask after washing away the leak, I have given up hope!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom