Utila: Need to book today, and I am confused!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
QUOTE: Just to clear up some of the rumours regarding BICD. It is true that 2 Instructors were "let go" duting the recent shake-up.
There has been a change in management and also some new hirings of experienced instructors. BICD currently has 11 Instructors on staff. To suggest that the entire staff have been sacked is simply not true.

Help!

Next week my husband and I are diving in the Bay Islands April 2 - 7 and are trying to make our final decision. I had just about decided on BICD, when I read the above, posted in July of '04. Can anyone comment on the state of BICD now? They certainly have a good-looking website. We are relative newbies (20 or so dives), and want to dive as well as take the Advanced Course.

I'm trying to decide between BICD (staying at some hotel next to Utila Lodge. Utila Lodge is booked). OR Captain Morgans on Jewel Cay OR Utila Watersports (staying at Laguna Beach Resort).

I have been reading posts for days, and narrowed it down to these three. What do you think?

Important to us is: 1. Dive Instuctors/Masters - good helpful people. 2. Take care of us a little, since I'm still a nervous diver. 3. See a Whale Shark!

I had hoped for an AI, since meals would be so much easier, but Utila Lodge was my favorite and its full.

I'd appreciate any help!

And - I promise I will post a trip report afterwards!!!

L Cooper:
Important to us is: 1. Dive Instuctors/Masters - good helpful people. 2. Take care of us a little, since I'm still a nervous diver. 3. See a Whale Shark!
QUOTE]

They all sound like good possibilities to me.

I think anywhere you go on Utila you're going to find above average Instructors. Since you are asking about AOW, the DM's are really not an issue.

May I be so straightforward to suggest that if you are a nervous diver, that maybe you should delay your quest for the AOW grail for a while? Instead of task loading while underwater, why not just log a lot of dives- and get very comfortable. Knowing that you are nervous and expressing it to your DM is a great thing. Being nervous is a very bad thing.

Whale Sharks? If you see one... be sure to holler! Best bet? April-June on da' full moon has always worked for me.

RoatanMan:
L Cooper:
QUOTE]

They all sound like good possibilities to me.

I think anywhere you go on Utila you're going to find above average Instructors. Since you are asking about AOW, the DM's are really not an issue.

May I be so straightforward to suggest that if you are a nervous diver, that maybe you should delay your quest for the AOW grail for a while? Instead of task loading while underwater, why not just log a lot of dives- and get very comfortable. Knowing that you are nervous and expressing it to your DM is a great thing. Being nervous is a very bad thing.

Whale Sharks? If you see one... be sure to holler! Best bet? April-June on da' full moon has always worked for me.

I had quite a giggle in response to your wording "may I be so straightforward...", and immediately read the post to my husband. I appreciate your candor.
I am thinking about waiting, I will decide after tomorrow.

Tomorrow we are diving in Lago de Atitlan (Guatemala), a volcanic crater with "little to see" in the way of creatures, but an interesting dive because of the formations. I'm treating it as a refresher, and plan to work on buoyancy and see how I'm doing overall. My last slew of diving was 2 years ago off of Malaysia, and by the end I was comfortable, but hey, that was 2 years ago!

L. Cooper,

Lots of locals on Utila have same last name.....Just got back from six weeks there last week. Suggest you check out the Colibri Hotel..has bar and restaurant...reasonable...also contact Deep Blue divers or Tex at Ecomarine/Gunter's. I assure they have both already read your message and will answer any questions you may have. Have fun there!!

regards,

.......we dove with Tex at Gunther's Ecomarine and had a great time. I would contact him and see if you don't feel like it would be a good choice for you.

Good Diving,

Dave

I ended up confirming over email (without hearing back yet, or putting down cc info) with Captain Morgan's in Jewel Caye. What a long circuitous road I took to get here. I think I just got tired of slow responses (I have a head cold, and please please please go away before diving Saturday!).

I did email Tex, and heard back the next day (yesterday), but I don't know, just was worn down by too many choices.

Do you know much about Captain Morgan's? If it isn't too late...

thanks

Lisa

Coop,

Yea, too late..........

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom