Cyber Aqualand Nx - a "real" computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ulrikakroon

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi all!
This is my first post so if I break any rules, pls be patient...
I just lost my dive computer and have been looking around for a wrist one for a while (I have THIN wrists) but found nothing that could do everything AND wasn't too big.
Then I stumbled onto Citizen Cyber Aqualand Nx. Although expensive, it seems too good to be true (I had a citizen aqualand for 10 years and loved it) and how come I have never heard of it????
I tried to find info here on Scubaboard and found a post that said that users have to be aware that it "is not a REAL dive computer".
It's not? Then why? It seems very similar to the Stinger to me (but doesn't do gauge mode?)
Thanx
Ulrika

Tavi:
It's a watch. It gives you dive time, temp, and depth. it doesn't figure algorythms or give you NDL's

I think that's the Hyper Aqualand, but the 'Cyber' model seems newer...haven't seen it before, either. Demo at Citizen quite clearly shows it figuring NDL, PO2, nitrox to 50%, altitude, planning, full logging/download.

Quite a ton of stuff on a teeny tiny display, tho.

It is a computer. We have one in the shop. I sent my Hyper Aqualand off a few days ago because it finally took a dump (after around 1100 dives). It's a quality piece of equipment. I'm gonna ask the owner about trying out the Cyber NX.

If I get to dive the unit, I will post a full report.

Jamie

They are real computers, and nice ones at that too! They say it rivals with the Mares Nemo and the Oceanic Atom.

Very nice choice, go get it and then make sure you give us a nice report on it.

The Cyber Aqualand Nx IS a nitrox capable dive computer. Citizen dive computers are unusual in that they utilize the DCIEM algorithm.

NITROX FEATURES:
O2 % Setting (22-50%) by 1% Increment
Maximum PO2 Warning (1.6 Fixed)
OTT (Oxygen Toxication Time) Calculation and Warning

DIVE COMPUTER FEATURES:
Full Decompression Data Dive Log Memory for up to
100 Dives Depth Display and Memory Current and Maximum (to 266 ft.)
Alarms for Ascent Rate, Depth Alarm, Maximum Depth and All Errors for Nitrox Diving
Water Temperature Display & Memory Current & Minimum
Dive Start, Finish & Elapsed-Time Memory (to 199 minutes)
Depth & Water Temperature Log
Water Thermometer (-10 C - 40 C)
Calculation of No Fly Time & Residual Nitrogen in the Body
Measures Surface Interval
Automatic Altitude Adjustment
Battery Power Indicator
DCIEM Decompression Model

WATCH FEATURES:
Fully Automatic Calendar
Alarm
1/100th Second Chronograph (up to 23 hours 59 minutes 59 seconds 99)
Countdown Timer from 99 Minutes to 1 Minute (1-minute increments)
12/24 Adjustable Display
World Time (up to 30 cities across 48 time zones)
Destination Timer Electro-Luminescence Backlighting

http://watch.citizen.co.jp/cyber-nx/fl_eng/main_f.htm

Tamas:
They are real computers, and nice ones at that too! They say it rivals with the Mares Nemo and the Oceanic Atom.
Have to disagree with you there - the Mares Nemo utilises a more up to date Mares/Wienke RGBM algorithm and the Atom is capable of receiving data from up to three wireless transmitter, as well as being nitrox capable up to 99%.

Vie:
Tamas:
Have to disagree with you there - the Mares Nemo utilises a more up to date Mares/Wienke RGBM algorithm and the Atom is capable of receiving data from up to three wireless transmitter, as well as being nitrox capable up to 99%.

I realize that, but I meant it as in style and watch/computer functions......but you are right, the others are more advanced.

Aha.
There's probably an answer to this somewhere on this board but in what way is the DCIEM algorith different? More conservative? Less? Just old?
Ulrika

The DCIEM algorithm was developed by DCIEM (Canadian Defense and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine). According to John Francis of ScubaLab, “this algorithm is unusual because it assumes only four tissue compartments and because it assumes that dissolved gas passes from your blood to your fastest tissue, and from it to the next fastest, and so on. Haldane and other theories assume gas passes from blood to each compartment directly.” The Cyber Aqualand Nx was found to be “very conservative at maximum depths, but also very liberal duringthe later portions of ascents, sometimes even more liberal than Haldanean computers.”

Information from Crunching the Numbers by ScubaLab and John Francis in Scuba Diving magazine, August 2004.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom