So Confused about fins :sigh:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weenerdogg

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to start OW cert in May and need to buy fins for the class. The owner of the LDS I am going to take the class indicated that Split Fins were the way to go and if I got paddles that I would want to upgrade later. The other shop I went to said that I should start off with paddles and upgrade later. They offer a package with Thrusters (by sea quest) with the class. They seem reasonable but not sure about how they perform. This person said that if I go for split that the atomics are the only way to go. i saw some good reviews for apollos also. I'm really overwhelmed. I would appreciate any advice. I am not looking for a cheap fin per se but rather a good balance of value and quality (and if theyre sexy that would be nice too but it is the least of my worries :wink: ). I am trying to keep expenses down. I'm sure you all know this could be an expensive hobby and it just gets more so as you go I hear :11:

My friend, save your money and buy right the first time. Invest in a pair of Scuba Pro Jet Fins. I was skeptical at first, but they prevailed and in my mind is the Mercedes of fins. Very comfortable, lots of thrust and allow you to have a lot of control.

http://store.yahoo.com/leisure-pro/scpfj.html

ScubaToys may have them too, give Larry a call. Later you can attach spring straps, and off you go.........

MoonWrasse:
I'd rent first, buy fins a little later - I'd suggest open heel, but that's my preference.

I have decided that i am going with open heels. What I have read it really depends on how you kick to decide what kind of fins you need HOWEVER I have never dove before so I have no idea how I kick. Jeez. i did read the split vs non split thread but am still not sure what works. I wish I could rent.

weenerdogg:
The owner of the LDS I am going to take the class indicated that Split Fins This person said that if I go for split that the atomics are the only way to go. i saw some good reviews for apollos also.

There is not such thing as the only way to go. He may like the atomics fins himself but that doesn't mean you will like them. If they was one magic pair of fins around everybody would be wearing them. Matter of fact some divers don't even like split fins. Myself I can't say anything good or bad because I never try them. I do know that I like my Scubapro Jet fins because there are simple and they work for me. So be careful before you buy fins that will cost you 100$ and not like.

Cheers

Al

Advantage for me with open heel, is gearing up on the boat and comfort.
Gearing up is much easier with OH.

Comfort - with full fin I get blisters on my ankles topside after a few dives which are difficult to heal.

Hyper-limits:
There is not such thing as the only way to go. He may like the atomics fins himself but that doesn't mean you will like them. If they was one magic pair of fins around everybody would be wearing them. Matter of fact some divers don't even like split fins. Myself I can't say anything because I never try them. I do know that I like my Scubapro Jet fins because there are simple and they work for me. So be careful before you buy fins that will cost you 100$ and not like.

Cheers

Al

Thanks Al,

that is my concern I know the owner wants to sell a high priced fin but I was curious if they were actually any good. But once again it is a matter of personal preference so I guess I will have to find out myself. Thanks again!

I have been using Mares Avanti Quattro fins for almost 10 years. They are what I started with and I still like them.

I know other people who started with split fins, and then moved away from them because it was decided they wanted more thrust.

I really suggest you not be in a hurry. Rent some, or if you have any scuba friends, try borrowing some to see what you like.

I started out with Scubapro JetFins and dove with nothing else for decades. Last year, I bought my first pair of split fins (the Atomic Liquid Blue). I like them both, but they are very different fins.

I don't think I would start out with the split fins, because they are much more expensive and because I think they are more specialized (i.e., much better at one or two things, but not as good at some others, and not really better all around - just different). I am glad I have the split fins, but I don't think I would choose them if they were going to be my only fins. You will probably find it easier to learn how to fin properly with the JetFins, you will never outgrow them, and they will last forever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom