Mares has full RGBM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Quite a few folks here have posted that Mares dos not use full RGBM.

Here is a link that may help.mares rgbm website

However, the specifications for their actual computers say that they are using M values and tissue compartments. Hence a Bulhman-RGBM mix.

There is a lot of confusion about what "RGBM" means. It means whatever Wienke says it means and he has given his blessing to the Mares implementation.

That being said, the Mares implementation does not appear to be a pure bubble model, even if it is called RGBM.

Peter

PS> There is nothing wrong with a hybrid model. As long as you get out of the water without illness the model doesn't matter. Deco divers want and need to decompress as cleanly as possible, hence the desire for a true bubble model. Adding extra bubble model conservatism to a buhlman algorithm is not at all desirable.

What Mares does is take a Buhlman model and "fold RGBM into it" to create micro bubble levels, somewhat like Uwatec started doing a long time ago.
As far as I know there is no full RGBM computer, but on the Abyss you can choose for the full RGBM allgorithm, and the new VR3 will have the choice of VPM.

mart

ScottZeagle:
I see research, but is there an actual computer that they sell that uses the full RGBM?

If there is, I didn't see it on the link you posted.

The Mares M1 RGBM dive computer is specific for utilizing the RGBM algorithm, although I do believe another model may also use this technology. (Information per the Mares website.)

mart1:
As far as I know there is no full RGBM computer,
Hydrospace Engineering has one. Bruce Weinke, aka Mr. RGBM posted some comments on "Recreational RGBM". . I don't know if Mares, Zeagle, and Steam Machines have yet come out with full RGBM implementations.

"Suunto RGBM" and "Mares Weinke RGBM" are particular implementations of recreational RGBM, which is a neo-Haldanain algorithm tweaked to emulate RGBM. Mares is also supposedly working on a full impementation of RGBM, but I don't know if that has ever been released.

It looks to me like the Mares M1 RGMB is a "recreational" RGBM implementation.

ScottZeagle:
I see research, but is there an actual computer that they sell that uses the full RGBM?

If there is, I didn't see it on the link you posted.
Scott, the Hydrospace Explorer features full RGBM among others.

It is a O2/N2/He computer that calculates fO2 or pO2 with the option of using an O2 cel reading the actual pO2.

I said among others as the Explorer allows you to calculate decompression both in RGBM (three settings: F=100, F=97, F=94) as well as straight Bühlmann's ZH-L 16C and 6 different Bühlmann ZH-L 16C model with RGBM folded into it (ZH-L 16C model, Asymetric 118 with RGBM F= same three values as above and Asymetric 135 with RGBM F= same three values as above).

The manual is available for download as a pdf file online, and makes for a very intresting read. It's the most comprehensive manual I've seen.

Steam Machines has an agreement with Wienke to use RGBM in their deco computer.
This computer will be used with their PRISM Topaz CCR and the prototypes I have seen have a couple of innovative features that will be an advance for CCR deco computers.
The computer will replace the battery cap, and data from the sensors will be transmitted by IR from the potted electronics below. Hence there is no cable connection to the setpoint controller that could fail and damage the PRISM's electronics. Power supply is also separate from the CCR's, so both systems are completely separate entities. Damage or failure to either will not affect the other.

The display prototypes I've seen utilize a small video screen rather than some form of LED, comparable to what you use in a video camera as a viewfinder. It will be mounted on the DSV (mouthpiece) as a HUD display and in the field of vision of the diver at all times. Due to this design it will probably not work as well for OC diving, especially deco diving where you have to change 2nd stages for various gas supplies.

The last prototype I've seen was barely larger than the current 3 LED HUD yet I was able to read a labtop's folder names when it was set to 640X480. Due to the move of SMI to TN the deco computer has been delayed and no new release date announced.

Advanced Diver Magazine did a software comparison a little while ago of several PC deco programs with broad variety of algorthms. Same dive, planned with the different softwares and algorithms, including RGBM, VPM and VPM-B, Bühlmann etc.
Back issues can be ordered and online article is available for members at Advanced Diver Magazine .

Charlie99:
In the link above, BRW listed Zeagle as a company developing a full-up RGBM computer. Release date?? Is it unique or a rebrand of the the Hydrospace computer?

Yes, we are working on a full-up RGBM computer.

Release date - unknown - hopefully some time in 2005. These things take a long time, I am finding out...

It is a unique computer.

That is really all I can say at this point. :crafty:

Thanks for the links!

Scott

Scott and all,

In the US the M1, MC1, Nemo, and Dacor Darwin Air (also the Mares Airlab of which there are some in the US)all have the Weinke-Mares. The Dacor Darwin and Darwin console do not. The M1 and MC1 in Europe also come in a non RGBM version that the US no longer brings in but are still in production, so look for the RGBM logo when buying a unit if the RGBM is what you want.

Good luck at Zeagle with your new computer Scott.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom