quick Apeks Quantum (TUSA IQ-700, Dive Rite NiTek Duo) questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TinoD'Voe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
-Just a curiousity, why do I have to wait for 48 hours after a dive before I can switch to gage mode on the comp? Do all computers make you wait this long or is this one just extra conservative?

-In the "DIVE" mode as you flip through the screens, if you accidentaly change the mix2 settings, it will stay on a number for around 24 hours. Does this affect any readings or is it ok to have mix1 at 21% while mix2 states 21% as well. I don't dive nitrox so I don't know anything about this.

-Ascent readings: I'm always getting a warning. How slow am I supposed to ascend?? It seems like if I move even super slowly I'm going too fast for this thing. Is there any chance that there's something wrong with a sensor?

-I've been searching around with no luck for some info on how to build my own cable. Someone mentioned that there's info out there if I look for it, but I can't find squat. If anyone could send me a link that would be appreciated.

TinoD'Voe:
-Ascent readings: I'm always getting a warning. How slow am I supposed to ascend?? It seems like if I move even super slowly I'm going too fast for this thing. Is there any chance that there's something wrong with a sensor?

-I've been searching around with no luck for some info on how to build my own cable. Someone mentioned that there's info out there if I look for it, but I can't find squat. If anyone could send me a link that would be appreciated.
I get ascent warnings immediately below the surface. Sometimes the depth reading fluctuates wildly when ascending through 10 fsw. It usually shows 0 fsw depth between 5 and 10 fsw. Sometimes depth fluctuates from 10 to 0 to 10 again. I don't know if that is standard behaviour or if it's the result of a bad sensor.

As for the cable, I bought an OEM unit. It works great, but it better work considering what I paid for it.

This has hapened to me as well - my conclusion is the depth sensor reading isn't sufficiently 'damped' in the computer programming for small sudden fluctuations as the previous generation Seiko Dive Rite NiTek 3 is. I just did a week of diving on Roatan, with my new TUSA IQ-700 on one wrist, and my veteran DR NiTek3 on the other wrist. Only 1 dive did the NiTek3 show an ascent warning (surge in the shallows at the end), but EVERY dive showed ascent alarm on the IQ-700. I switched wrists, putting the NiTek3 on my left wrist and IQ-700 on my right, after a night dive where right-handed me had my dive light in my right hand and my non-backlit NiTek3 on my right wrist (hmm - room for improvement in pre-dive planning . . .)and same result. They had it right, then looks like they monkeyed with it a bit too much, or forgot what they did right before. Heck, it would go off sometimes just from me pointing at someting I was showing the DM or my dive buddy wife - just from arm extension! It's great to have a sensitive instrument - as long as it's properly compensated.

Interestingly, the N2 loading algorithm in the IQ-700 checked out to be slightly more conservative than the NiTek3 when diving with both. I kept it a Safety Factor 0 through the trip. The IQ-700 always had a bit less no-deco time remaining on the display (whenever not 'maxed' at 200), added a 'dot' of N2 sooner than the NiTek3, took longer to 'lose' a 'dot' of N2 than the NiTek 3, and would generally show about 15 minutes more time required for desaturation at the end of each 3 tank air only dive day (no Nitrox at Reef House Resort).

On the IQ-700, I set both Mix1 and Mix2 to 21% O2, and set all 3 gases on the NiTek3 to 21% O2, so I could practice mix switching on both computers underwater. A few tries, and no problem with either one, it's just a different procedure for each computer. The 'Mix2" on the IQ-700 will 'blank' each night at midnight (if not in DIVE mode at midnight), while the Nitek3 only does that if a mix is set to > 21% O2. The only difference I can see on the IQ-700 if you use 21% O2 for both Mix1 and Mix2 is you will get the O2 warning alarm at 1.6 ATA ppO2 on Mix2 instead of 1.4 ATA ppO2 on Mix1, from the Manual. i certainly didn't push to either 1.4 or 1.6 ATA ppO2 while diving air - my deepest dive was 115 FSW this trip. So, I didn't personally test the ppO2 alarm settings (I really wouldn't want to, anyway).

If you're not Nitrox certified, I suggest you just leave Mix2 'blanked' until you get Nitrox certified and a better understanding of elevated ppO2 effects.

Back
Top Bottom