Maine dive sites preserved from LNG facility.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adshepard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The town of Perry Maine rejected the possibility of an LNG (liquified natural gas) facility which would have been located at the Pleasant Point Reservation of the Passamaquoddy tribe. The town of Perry has to approve any commercial development on a certain portion of reservation land. The vote was 55% against and 45% for the facility.

This vote should ensure that the dive sites in the area remain safe for now. Two sites would have been obliterated by the facility as the facility would have been built right on them. Other sites would have been impacted by tankers entering the area.

Because of the vote creatures like those found on the following web site (one of mine) will remain for divers to enjoy:

Passamaquoddy Bay

There was still another hurdle that the pro-LNG people would have had to clear and that was permission from the Canadian government to allow tankers through Head Harbour passage. In the past the Canadians had rejected large cargo ships going through and it was likely that they would have banned the LNG tankers too. The passage is a heavily traveled by whales and other marine mammals. Thankfully that safety stop seems not to be needed now.

DSDO

Alan

I heard about it this morning. (I went to Portland on buiness) Great news! as my sister lives right on the water on Shore rd. in Perry. Happy to hear my freebee vaca dives are safe!

Passamaquoddy Bay

I just was surfing around under the header of 'Maine' trolling for dive buddies and I saw your website link. Very interesting photos. Makes you just want to kiss the Sea Raven :wink:

I was diving this weekend in Seward and the nudibranchs seem to be absolutely massive and quite prolific. I saw the usual top-ramen style egg masses to larger billowing skirt-like ones. Every shade of cream & tan out there. Your photos hold whatr appears to be an equally beautiful array of marine creatures. Very lovely. I like to think I'm an amateur (emphasis on amateur) naturalist locally for divers. I atttempt to identify as many things and write down each dive. I am continually floored with new things.

I'll be up in Lincolnville Beach/ Camden /Rockland area on 08/13 -08-27 (my final dive day will be on 08/25). If you are interested in diving around Acadia, I'll try to meet you there. I love Acadia and remember many wlalks into anemone cave as a kid at low tide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom