Scallopage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

those look delicious. Don't see many that big around here.

Justin699:
those look delicious. Don't see many that big around here.

They are very tasty, they don't seem to be as "fishy" as the rock scallops. The shells are pretty useful too, they have been used as Christmas tree ornaments, house trim decoration, etc.
:thumb:

Those are beautiful shells! They would make a nice set of sushi dishes... err... not that I eat sushi.

I wish we had them down here. We just have pecten scallops and rock scallops afaik.

Mmmmmmm, Scallops. My wife loves when I bring home a bag of those.

YUMMMMMMMMMMM! With a squeeze of fresh lime juice or a little soy sauce. Now that's good eats.

I love scallops, we have the purple hinged rock scallops around here. They're a fun distraction during the safety stop.. yumm actually make that a safety snack

sb_diver:
I love scallops, we have the purple hinged rock scallops around here. They're a fun distraction during the safety stop.. yumm actually make that a safety snack

I used to toss the shells, then some people started asking for them for "projects" in art, garden decor, etc. So...I thought what the heck-I'll make a house trim border with a frame and set the shells in liquid nails (good stuff). After it was done I thought it would have looked better in the dark grey liquid nails to contrast the scallop shells more, but...it was done.

Has anyone tried to polish them?
I bought a bunch of Oyster shells that were used in making pearls. They are about the size of my hand and have been highly polished. They are stunningly beautiful and we use them when serving sashimi.

I would like to try polishing the scallop shells in the same way. Any tips would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom