Bay Islands Flights vs Ferry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve P

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
:06: Wondering if the low altidude flights between Utila & Roatan allow diving the day before flying. Travel agent says ok - they advise possibly skipping the afternoon dives. That would give us about 18 hours before flying. The ferry service seems like the way to go - why risk DCS or skip dives? But I have read a few posts indicating the flights are preferable due to delays or rough seas? I imagine the flights can be as, if not more, prone to delays. We will have 6 full days of diving in Utila before flying to Roatan for 2 more days of diving. Also, we plan on afternoon dives in Roatan the day we arrive - so timing may be an issue if ferry takes the scenic tour. Any thoughts from the frequent flying divers of the Bay Islands?

Steve

...from Utila. We had the same delemia so we dove until noon the day before we left. We took the Utila Princess (ferry) to La Ceiba the next day and caught a flight to San Pedro Sula (10:30a). Surface interval time before flight about 19 hours. I had a clear "go" on my computer to fly. We even had a net savings of a few dollars when all was said and done.

Hope this helps.

Dave

They've changed the ferry ops recently. Island Princess makes all runs between Utila and La Ceiba...Galaxy makes all runs between Roatan and La Ceiba. So, now going between these two island has become a pain. You gotta get off one, wait until the other gets in, unloads, etc. etc. then get on. Before you couldbook from one island to the other and just stay on the AC'd boat while they made a short stop in La Ceiba.

If it' a half day of diving you're trying to save....Sterlingdiver seems to have worked it out. I usually now make my plans around flying since the ferries are so screrwed up.

Regards,

I believe that you can take the Utila Princess from Utila to La Ceiba first thing in the morning and make a connection on the 10 AM Galaxy over to Coxen Hole. No need to skip afternoon diving in Utila and you will still be in Roatan early afternoon and maybe catch an afternoon dive there. No worries about flying and it's much less expensive. We have traveled the other direction, Roatan to Utila, a couple times now and the only reason we don't dive the afternoon dives in Roatan is to give the gear a chance to dry out a bit before we pack it.

If you plan to fly don't take part of the trip by ferry, fly all the way from Utila to Roatan. I can't see the advantage of taking the ferry to La Ceiba and then flying to Roatan. You will have the hassle of taking the ferry, then shuttling between the ferry landing and the airport, as well as the flying after diving considerations. Much worse than all ferry or all air IMHO.

Your totally fine to dive - i called atlantic air and they said the flights were non-presurized. I did a late night dive and flew less than twelve hours later from Roatan to Belize, The plane stops 3 times on the route and Utila is the first stop - you barely take-off before you land - no worries you will be totally fine.

Is there a website that shows these? We would like to catch a 1:00 pm first dive on Roatan and if the ferry leaves La Ceiba at 10:00 that may be pretty tight. Sounds like the flight may be the way to go. Since we have a week of diving in Utila and only 2 days in Roatan, I'd rather skip dives in Utila. Never been to either island so I wanted to at least get a taste of Roatan. I imagine the early flight to Roatan would get us there in plenty of time to catch the p.m. dives. Sterling diver, you just got back & you already have the countdown for the next trip. Must be nice!

hil71:
Your totally fine to dive - i called atlantic air and they said the flights were non-presurized. I did a late night dive and flew less than twelve hours later from Roatan to Belize, The plane stops 3 times on the route and Utila is the first stop - you barely take-off before you land - no worries you will be totally fine.

Thanks hil71. Just saw your post. I've never taken a non-pressurized flight after diving. There's still the altitude issue but I suppose these planes never get too high. I've probably driven to higher points in Hawaii the day after diving.

CAREFUL!

Non pressurised means potentially even more dangerous to divers NOT LESS.

Cabin pressure in a pressurised airliner is usually 8000feet. Non pressurised aircraft can and do fly at higher altitudes than this, meaning you expose yourself to an even steeper pressure gradient.

It is highly unlikely that the little island hoppers around here will reach that height, but I know someone who started exhibiting symptoms of decompression sickness on a flight from Roatan to Ceiba.

Make the decision when you get over here and know what the whether is doing etc - you do not need to pre book either the ferry or flights, there are loads of them with pleanty of space as long as it is not Semana Santa (Easter)

From memory i was told the flights didnt go above 3000 feet ( but that seems awfully low) It felt that we were barely skimming the ground/water and the weather was wet and windy that day (fun on the water taxi from Belize to San Pedro!!!! not!) Like Will says - just wait till you get there and decide - we booked the night before - no hassels.
I am a pretty new diver and would hate to be giving bad advice - probably best to listen to those on the board who are instuctors or more experienced!!! Have a brilliant time - wish i was going back again soon! Hilary

Travel agent said we needed three days prior notice for the flights but that may be conservative. If my computer indicates no fly than I would opt for the conservative approach and skip dives or take ferry. Better to miss a dive or two in Utila then spend my time in Roatan in a recompression chamber. Too bad there wasn't a direct ferry to Roatan.

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom