tsk tsk tsk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paolov:

HI Paolov, Read the link. Have you been there yet? I"m curious because I was in Boracay in all of 99 when the same thing happened on the west side of the island. It was a result it seemed, of the coral bleaching, losing it's natural resistance that healthy reefs have in that some repel the C of Thorns naturally. We tried to gather them in bags and dispose of them, we tried to inject them with chlorine...but they ran their course. But they stopped their progression and never invaded the north side as they reached Yapak. That side didn't bleach (from the El Nino Grande of 98) and was still healthy.
I guess my point is that I believe in massive invasions like this, they're opportunistic and are the effect, not the cause of the damaged reef. Hank

Hank49:
is that I believe in massive invasions like this, they're opportunistic and are the effect, not the cause of the damaged reef. Hank

i believe so too. most likely the predator for the juvenile crown of thorns have been harvested too much that the prey (juvenile crown of thorns) were able to thrive in numbers.

the nautilus i believe ...

paolov:
i believe so too. most likely the predator for the juvenile crown of thorns have been harvested too much that the prey (juvenile crown of thorns) were able to thrive in numbers.

the nautilus i believe ...

I remember hearing that on Boracay about the nautilus. We did some interesting experiments on killing C of Ts. We injected them with chlorine by taking a hypodermic and a plastic bottle of CL under water with us. I did a test and we found that you have to inject each and every tenacle at the base because there is a reproductive organ in each one. I checked some in a cage three days after injection and the arms that weren't injected were still alive and moving. Kind of like the arm of the "Teminator" at the end of the movie.
After they ran across the whole front of White Beach the reef became covered in a Hollywood like cobweb material which was green or almost violet in color. I haven't been back but I hear its recovering. Hank

I have heard that turning the Crown-of-Thorns upside-down dooms them to death. Supposedly, they cannot right themselves.

Does anyone know if that is true or not?

Carbon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom