Goofy Questions about the Bay Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zboss

Contributor
Reaction score
Alright folks... I've got a question for residents of the Utila, Roatan, and Guanaja: I want to go diving there but my GF doesn't dive. Are the beaches mostly white sandy beaches or what? She says you guys have pythons, boas, and salt-water crocs... is this true?

zboss:
Alright folks... I've got a question for residents of the Utila, Roatan, and Guanaja: I want to go diving there but my GF doesn't dive. Are the beaches mostly white sandy beaches or what? She says you guys have pythons, boas, and salt-water crocs... is this true?

For whatever reason, the powers what be have moved the Bay Island forum to be in the South American dealywhig. Makes :eyebrow: perfect sense. {This thread was moved accordingly}

Fuggadaboaut the beaches. They are what they are, which aint much. The best lotion that she can use to sun herself is DEET. As with any Caribbean destination, the sand :drejnd: flies (aka: sand fleas, no-see-ums, etc) are there, and the Bay Islands has the best of the best.

Pythons and Boas? Well, yes, there are constrictors, but what does that matter? If you do see one, count yourself blessed (and observant). There is a resident constrictor of 6' in length that lives at the AI that I frequent, and unless you know where he is, you'll never see him. They eat rats. And sometimes small girlfriends, but not really all that often.

Poisonous snakes? No. None, Nada.

Salt water crocs? Really? :429:

Time to switch girl friends.

These "mIxEd ReLaTiOnShIpS" of non-diver/diver rarely work out unless there is a bikini :shocked: factor involved... but- even then... :gr1:

Well that's what I said...

Thanks for the info!

zboss:

Decided on Grand Cayman for our honeymoon 16 yrs ago. Problem was my wife wasn't a diver. I knew that if I went to Cayman and didn't dive we'd be divorced before we made it home. Also figured if I dove every day while newlywed stayed behind - yes same result. Got her certified, she loves it and we're still diving together. Now just need to get the kids certfied.

Steve P:
Decided on Grand Cayman for our honeymoon 16 yrs ago. Problem was my wife wasn't a diver. I knew that if I went to Cayman and didn't dive we'd be divorced before we made it home. Also figured if I dove every day while newlywed stayed behind - yes same result. Got her certified, she loves it and we're still diving together. Now just need to get the kids certfied.

A success story, indeed. But I would suggest that Cayman is one of those places where this kind of mis-match could work out, if there was enough $$ available to keep the non-diver funded to enjoy the island.

Cubic :pinkandlo ,Metric :voskl1: Dollar$.

Cayman offers several daytime diversions, and certainly for someone with even a minimal sense of "travel humor" and a credit card , one can have a pretty good time doing non-SCUBA activities. For a snorkeler, there is enough to keep you going all week, but once again, luckily credit cards are water-proof. It's roughly a civilized version of Cozumel for an upper income crowd.

In 1987 I travelled to Grand Cayman (for my 7th time) with a low-maintenence, highly-pneumatic blonde Jessica :gr1: Rabbitt who, when she wasn't poured into that wondrous Lycra (Lycra- that's my favorite :wub: color!) dive skin for SCUBA, she amused herself with pedicures, golf, shopping at Bernie Pessman's for Black Coral, scouting out dinner locations (back in the days of Chef Tell's Grand Old House), more golf, working on the tan :sunny lines, tennis, and joining us for a dive when the seas were flat and the air was hot. Then there was Barefoot Man at the Holy-day Inn and our old buddy, Miss Chris Lexau.

This successful relationship ended soon after our first trip to Roatan- which is more of a down-home tribal kind of experience.

I haven't been back :58: to GC since.

"These "mIxEd ReLaTiOnShIpS" of non-diver/diver rarely work out". I've learned a good trick - the nondiving husband who is obsessively interested in flyfishing is a good match with the diving wife. Neither one of us can wait to hit the Bay Islands this summer (loved Belize year before last, lots of fishing/diving locations yet to come), though some of our friends and family think it's a little weird to go on vacation and not see each other most of each day. Works for us!

We've seen one of the crocs that live in First Bight. I tow my husband through there barefoot waterskiing.
American Crocodiles
We had a few living in the marina in Cozumel too. Tim used to get in the water there all the time to scrub the propellers and never felt threatened although they did eat a dog off one of the sportfishing yachts and were seen swimming in the ocean outside the marina at night a few times. The firemen would come in every once in a while to capture and relocate them to Columbia Lagoon at the south end of the island.
I saw what was left of a boa this morning on my walk. I've seen several squashed snakes here but no live ones.
Here's one I found eating an iguana in Cozumel.
13090032-M.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom