kayak diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubastew

Reaction score
Anyone out there ever kayak dive? Is it worth it? I've been looking at getting a kayak for fun and then noticed that some sit-on-top kayaks are build to dive off of or even fish from. I thought that was interesting, did a little research then thought I'd post a query here. So any one try this? Do LDS have kayak-dving training courses (didnot see any at my local shops; SSD and NAS)?

Ideally I'd rather be out on a boat, of course, but the kayak looks like an awful interesting way to suppliment beach dives. Plus kayaking seems pretty fun by itself.

Anyone into this PM me I'm interested to learn more...

~stu

THANKS ALL

Discover Diving in Atkinson, NH has a kayak course, or did last time I was up there.

I love it, but since I have two sea kayaks, there's no easy way for me to combine scuba in a kayak trip. The molded sit-tops are really nice.

There's places to rent all around, but I'd recommend the kayak place on Cape Ann on Bear's Neck, can't remember the name of the outfit offhand though. Good prices, good folks and plenty of places to noodle around in.

scubastew:
Do LDS have kayak-dving training courses (didnot see any at my local shops; SSD and NAS)?
Stu,

As dnight mentioned, Discover Diving in Atkinson, NH, offers one-on-one kayak courses. The instructor's name is Jon Becker. You'll have to call the shop though, as their website doesn't list the individual courses. 603-362-6272.

Many scuba stores rent kayaks. Normally they will also credit your rental fees towards a later purchase as well. As with any scuba gear, you would be wise to rent before you buy. This will help you decide (1) if you like scuba kayaking and (2) what kayak if any you perfer.

Make sure the cargo lid fits tightly with a pair of bungees. By putting your weight belt inside the cargo area, it will give you more stability, like a keel in a sailboat. You can also put your fins and mask inside there as well. If the lid does not fit tightly, then when you roll the yak, the weights will pop open the lid and disappear into the Deep with your fins (and probably mask too).

Your tank, B/C, and regs will already need to be assembled and bungeed to the top of your yak, either at the back or front.

Kayaks are squirrelly. And they are very difficult to get back up onto, expecially after you have reloaded your tank and B/C back on top of it. Normally your buddy can help stabilize your yak while you get onto it, and you can help him get back onto his too. You will need to help each other, or else it is very easy to roll your yak, over and over again.

A kayak gives you a range of about 1 or 2 miles from your entry point, which is a whole lot easier than swimming. It also gives you a surface platform to work off at your destination, such as for spearfishing or photography.

If you do not have a boat, nor a friend with a boat, a yak is the next best thing, if you like it and you don't mind the squirrelliness. Make sure you have a luggage rack and tie-down points on your car, or else a pickup truck, to haul it around with you.

Have fun!

Stew,
The Old Salt chandlery on Hingham Harbor has some nice Cobra Fish&Dives, and I think they rent them... you know, if you don't feel like hoofing it all the way up to Cape Ann. The way I see it, they'd make diving the South Shore a lot easier, since you wouldn't be so dependant on a beach or parking. You could put in at any marina. Of course, for the price of two of that model, you could get a nice used inflatable with an outboard... unless I see it first! :)

We just tried using a diveyak (not exactly like a conventional kayak) for the first time and really liked it. I think it will really expand my diving range. I've heard they're slow (not being a kayaker, can't comment), but mine is very stable and very easy to get back on so long as you de-gear first.

Clearly doesn't offer the scope, range, and space of a boat, but it's a lot better than surface swimming and also saves our air and energy. We can kind of meander out there, staying warm and (somewhat) dry, get the upper body workout and find the dive site.

matt_unique:
Now that would be something....imagine approaching the Poling to see a Kayak tied up to the mooring? Ha ha - tough job for the person providing surface support.

--Matt

Having two 'yaks makes it easier. I have two PVC pipes that we lay across both kayaks with a net, something like a cheap multi-hull. It won't hold two people *and* gear (easy fix, I was just cheap on the netting), but makes for a great, stable place to dive from one at a time.

All your feedback is super helpful. Thanks so much.

one thing I havent heard covered: Do diveyaks/scuyaks allow you to store a second tank? or do you have to suspend it over the side? or only bring one tank? how challenging is a "tank swap" on a kayak? or in the water?

I love the idea of slightly expanded range and as others have mentioned less depencency on parking super close to the dive site. I too find that I get a little winded with the surface swims to get some depth/distance and I think that negatively affects my bottomtime/air consumption.

I hear lots of positives (increased dive range, surface platform) and few negatives (squirreliness, re-mounting), might be time for me to rent one/take a class and get a feel for it. great suggestion/reminder to rent before buying too!!

also like the motored inflatable-boat suggesting...good point 2 yaks and gear will likely get into the $1,300-$1,400 range.

gotta love diving, every year it's some new innovation you can't dive without
$$$$$$$$

;0)

scubastew:
All your feedback is super helpful. Thanks so much.

one thing I havent heard covered: Do diveyaks/scuyaks allow you to store a second tank? or do you have to suspend it over the side? or only bring one tank? how challenging is a "tank swap" on a kayak? or in the water?

This depends on the model. Most dive kayaks (Ocean Kayak, Cobra) have a fairly large hull, which may hold up to 2 additional tanks. Swapping the tank is relatively easy on a stable kayak, but it definitely is easier if you have a buddy with a second kayak around for additional stability.

Hey, want to go kayak diving? I will get my Scrambler XT ready for May.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom