Ab diving in a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDuane

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
We normally ab dive before we scuba dive. I'm thinking I'll just ab dive in my drysuit and deal with the squeeze. It's only up to 35' for less than a minute. Am I nuts, or does anyone else do it? I can't see having to don the wetsuit for abs then change into the drysuit for scuba. It wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Thanks for your input,

DiverDuane

Freediving in a bag suit is a lot of extra work because of the additional drag.
The slower you go, the less of a problem it is. Being warm is a tossup, just watch out having abs along with dive gear in the same place. THAT can cause a big problem if you happen to run into a feisty warden.

Thanks for the advice Bob, I'm new to the drysuit not ab diving.

DiverDuane

sitka diver:
U guys ready to go get some abs??

Hey Bro, they look a litle small.
Here in Oregon the limit is 1. Yes one regulation sized ab. I better move back to Kalifornia.

Make sure your fin straps/springs are on tight. When you do a surface dive in a drysuit, all the air inside of it goes into the legs and to the feet and boots. If your suit has rock boots, that should not be a problem. If your suit has rubber boots, the air bubble can expand the boots and pop off your fins, and then you would be SOL without any fins on underwater, especially if negatively buoyant due to advanced weighting and a heavy weight belt at the time.

Mike Matthews:
Hey Bro, they look a litle small.
Here in Oregon the limit is 1. Yes one regulation sized ab. I better move back to Kalifornia.

In California the GWS have a limit of 1 regulation sized ab diver, especially around Mendocino. May want to reconsider that move.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom