wetsuit for Rotan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shae

Registered
Reaction score
I just decided to go to Rotan for a few months (Oct - Dec) and am in the market for a new wetsuit for the trip. I am planning on making 1-2 dives daily during this time. I was thinking of getting a 3 mil shorty. I'm looking for someone to either validate this decision or to set me straight. Will this suit keep me warm enough during these moths?

Thanks,
Shae

Shae:
I just decided to go to Rotan for a few months (Oct - Dec) and am in the market for a new wetsuit for the trip. I am planning on making 1-2 dives daily during this time. I was thinking of getting a 3 mil shorty. I'm looking for someone to either validate this decision or to set me straight. Will this suit keep me warm enough during these moths?

Thanks,
Shae

The best question you should ask is: What is the water temperature going to be?

Then: Compare your body's past history of reacting to these temps.

If you have no prior recorded (logged) history, you are absolutely on your own. There is nothing that anyone can tell you that will be of assistance.

I could survive your 1 to 2 dive a day plan with no problem in a shorty. (The 3 mil part is irrelevant) My dive buddy would wear her 3/5 each and every time and still be a bit blue.

It's all absolutely personal due to your body's individual tolerances. Expect water temps to be 78-84 degrees, and you may also do well to anticipate and plan for surface intervals that feature rain. If you are on the North Side or West End, choppy seas go hand in hand with these seasonal patterns, lowering your core temperature recovery times.

Everyone's tolerance for cold is different, of course. In Roatan , I usually use a 3mm full suit, occasionally just a skin.

Hi Shae, I think it might be prudent to wait and see what is available on Roatan...I am almost positive that Gillian will be able to provide you with something...

The only piece of equipment I have bought (for everyone else's information, me and Shae are attending the same DM Internship...just at different times) is an Uwatec digital bottom timer/ gauge. According to the literature, all other SCUBA equipment is included in the cost.

Just my 20 pence :)

My October trip last year (stayed at Fantasy Island) yielded 3 to 4 dives each day. Temps were 80 to 82 degress. 7 out of 10 divers on our boat wore 3m full; the others shorties. I tend to get chilled by dive 3, & I always wear 3m long, so I wore a beanie for those later-in-the-day dives, & it really makes difference. Like RoatanMan said, above-water interval conditions can warrant a little more protection - so be prepared.

Jonty:
Hi Shae, I think it might be prudent to wait and see what is available on Roatan...I am almost positive that Gillian will be able to provide you with something...

The only piece of equipment I have bought (for everyone else's information, me and Shae are attending the same DM Internship...just at different times) is an Uwatec digital bottom timer/ gauge. According to the literature, all other SCUBA equipment is included in the cost.

Just my 20 pence :)

That's true, I might go ahead and wait until I get down there.

RoatanMan:
The best question you should ask is: What is the water temperature going to be?

Then: Compare your body's past history of reacting to these temps.

If you have no prior recorded (logged) history, you are absolutely on your own. There is nothing that anyone can tell you that will be of assistance.

I could survive your 1 to 2 dive a day plan with no problem in a shorty. (The 3 mil part is irrelevant) My dive buddy would wear her 3/5 each and every time and still be a bit blue.

It's all absolutely personal due to your body's individual tolerances. Expect water temps to be 78-84 degrees, and you may also do well to anticipate and plan for surface intervals that feature rain. If you are on the North Side or West End, choppy seas go hand in hand with these seasonal patterns, lowering your core temperature recovery times.

Excellent advice, and analysis.

Therefore what I always do is either bring my 3mm full length wetsuit or my 7mm full length wetsuit. The 3mm works perfectly anywhere in the world in warm water during their summer months, and the 7mm works anywhere in the world in warm water during their winters. (I know, the 7mm is overkill, but it works for me, for unlimited diving. The other winter warm water option would be a farmer john double 3mm instead, which is more common.)

So I suggest to be on the safe side that you also go with a full length 3mm wetsuit. That would also protect your arms and legs from things that sting.

Some people are comfortable in shorties. Some people are even comfortable in dive skins. Heck, some people are comfortable in swimsuits. But why take a chance on being uncomfortable? And there is always the issue of rubbing up against something that stings. That is my recommendation.

Bay Island Diver:
At that time of year in Roatan I dive with a 5mm full suit (Scubapro S-Tek) and a 3mm hood. Its nice to be warm!

I will agree that a 5mm suit is a better choice than a 7mm suit for local-winter warm water diving. Its just that I already have a 7mm single piece wetsuit for cold water freediving, and therefore there would be no need to buy a 5mm suit as well.

And again, rather than a single piece 5mm suit, a 2 piece 3mm farmer john suit is quite common for local-winter warm water diving as well. That also gives better warmth and protection than any shortie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom