OMS VR3 Computer (new model)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Campana

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I got a chance to check out this new beauty in Florida, where a fellow Texan with a decidedly down under accent ran it through it's paces. It has the ability to hold 10 gasses, to switch among them, and this includes trimix. I certainly can't go over all it's features, but it looks like the wave of the future. This is the new version, not the one you see around already. This one is much smaller and not as clunky looking. The crowning touch: video games for those boring deco times! The guy said it'll be available as soon as all the old VR3's are gone.

Anybody else seen one? Got any more information?

pain in the ass to program, display too small, can't shut off the deep stops.. maybe the next software revison will address the software inadequacies, byt the display is way too small for a primary computer.

I've had mine since december, I prefer my abyss explorer.. The vr3 is only used as a backup computer..

I have the trimix vr3 model with constant po2..

The new version might address some of your complaints. Later I'll post the link.

Stay away from all those fix all your problem computers and pick up a good bottom timer and start using standard gases and tables.

Very easy and you can use the money that you would have spent on the computer and pick up more stage bottles and double 104s and such!

:doctor:

say you were diving a cave for the first time, and say it was an unmapped cave and you didn't know how deep it was, or if you did know the general depth, you didn't know how quickly it got that deep. In other words, you couldn't know ahead of time how deep the dive would be or how long you'd be at depth. How would you know what kind of tables to generate, what kind of standard gasses to plan on, etc.

That's one part of the "get rid of computers" argument I don't understand. The rest, I get and it seems to make sense.

I can certainly understand not using a computer if you can actually plan the dive pretty close, and I understand carrying several dive plan tables with you for some variables and contingencies, but what if you don't really have a clue about the dive ahead of time?

By the way, I have no intention of buying one of the VR3 computers, maybe until:
1. I learn a lot more about it
2. I feel it's worth it
3. I don't end up discarding computers too, I'm still a tech newbie and making still decisions about gear. (I'd rather have some more doubles).

You take one step at a time.

You plan your dive and gasses for an xxx depth. You Plan tables for that depth and YOU ALSO LOOK OVER OTHER OUTCOMES LIKE SHORTER TIME LOSS OF GASSES AND ALL THAT OTHER CRAP HIT

So, you and I find a spring and come up with a plan to check it out.

Remember step 1 is to check it out.
21/35 and take 50/50 sice it would be a short dive and then after checking it out and seeing it drops down more or bla bla bla tanks second set of doubles out that has your 240 or so gas and take 02 and 50/50. Do your dive checking out more and don't go beond what your gas is for. Whatever you cut time on your tables you stick with.

So the cave goes on and deeper. Make a plan for a 3rd dive and cut tables for standard gasses time and depth and always look over the **** hit the fan lost my 02 or 50/50 stuff. Rember that when you start really doing dives where you would be screwed if this or that happened is when you have your safty divers and the other 1 or two members of your dive team kick in.

Dave-

You have to commit to mixes in your tanks so you have operational limits there and must tailor the dive to those (ie cannot violate MOD etc). So it may take a couple of dives (like some of the stuff that goes deep and then deeper again did to those guys in france on the big pushes. You will learn in your tech training the many concepts that allow you to control the deco concerns of a dive through depth averageing, table interpolation (ie keep one set of navy tables and build your own curve....curve fitting), lots of tables for each gas and time variable. PRograms like decoplanner and standardized gas mixes take much of the variability out of the equation and help you learn to curve fit.

Also as you do more of these dives you have a natural instinct build and its fun to 'guess' before the tables/computer comes out to see how close you are. You may surprise yourself. The key is you commitment to it. It has to be all the way and understanding what you are doing and why you are doing it that puts you, Dave, in control and not your computer.

Theres much, much more to it but if i were you regardless of table or computer use, learn as much about deco theory as you can. It will only help you think independently and not grope around in the dark relying on something you know little about. No one can teach you deco theory, you have to research it on your own and come to some of your own conclusions and continually challenge your own and others assumptions as its all theory anyhow......the question is do you want to be responsible for your own deco or not?

Originally posted by Campana
say you were diving a cave for the first time, and say it was an unmapped cave and you didn't know how deep it was, or if you did know the general depth, you didn't know how quickly it got that deep. In other words, you couldn't know ahead of time how deep the dive would be or how long you'd be at depth. How would you know what kind of tables to generate, what kind of standard gasses to plan on, etc.

The new version might address some of your complaints. Later I'll post the link.

Yup (I got one of the earliest new ones, before the were available in US), at least the old version you could shut off deep stops..

I already have done dives that were fine on tables and My abyss explorer that screwed up the vr3, I got the dreaded "use tables" message

That's one part of the "get rid of computers" argument I don't understand. The rest, I get and it seems to make sense.

I can certainly understand not using a computer if you can actually plan the dive pretty close, and I understand carrying several dive plan tables with you for some variables and contingencies, but what if you don't really have a clue about the dive ahead of time?

By the way, I have no intention of buying one of the VR3 computers, maybe until:
1. I learn a lot more about it
2. I feel it's worth it
3. I don't end up discarding computers too, I'm still a tech newbie and making still decisions about gear. (I'd rather have some more doubles).

Your cave example is a reason not to buy the VR3 you can't shut off the deep stops, so many times you can't deco the way it wants beacuse it wants you to stay at a deep stop depth which may not be possible due to the cave layout..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom