How long after sinking 'til diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
How long after sinking the Spiegel Grove will it be before diving is allowed at the site?

I really don't know but its an excelent question. I know that with the sinking being totaly unpredicatable it wouldn't be allowed but if you stayed a safe distance how neat would it be to watch it sink while diving. Again it would never be allowed but I wonder if you could set up a dive camera on a remote to follow the wreck as it goes down.

"What one can imagine, another can create"

My guess is that it will be overnight. I figure they'll give her a couple hours to settle, then divers will have to inspect the site (probably NOAA divers) to make sure the wreck is settled in well and not in danger of tipping over or anything like that.

I know several of the main guys involved in this sinking so I'll try to get a more definate answer.

Tom

Originally posted by jbd
How long after sinking the Spiegel Grove will it be before diving is allowed at the site?

How's she going down? IF using explosives at all, it will have to be checked to ensure all have gone off or they have to be removed.

I wonder if they will use plywood again (remember the Yukon?) I used to work at Sartek and we were looking at mounting a camera to the ship for sinking and one on the bottom to see the ship coming down.

Eric

Per Capt. Spencer Slate- diving will be allowed the day after sinking.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom