St. Lawrence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver gadget

Contributor
Reaction score
There is a group of us renting a house boat out of Brockville in September. We are looking for ideas on great wrecks in the area.

We have dove in Brockville before and done wrecks like the Keystorm, The America and the Lily. We are not limited to Brockville and plan on diving in Kingston as well so are looking for ideas on the whole area. Any ideas are much appreciated.

Of course there are lots of other wrecks also... more on that in a moment.

Because of the events last September there are new restrictions going to the wrecks on the American side of the river. You must clear customs before crossing "the border".

Any vessel entering, docking or mooring in US water ( Keystorm, America, Vichery, Jodrey, Ocotnto) must physically report to the US Customs and Immigration Authorities on Hart Island , failure to report to the authorities with the proper documentation will be of grave consequences to the vessel, it’s captain and the passengers.

It is the responsibility of the boat captain to provide the authorities with a roster of it’s passengers on every trip to a US site.

To ensure that you can cross the border some charter companies are insisting that their customers must:
- Be of Canadian or of American Citizenship
- Carry with them on the boat 2 government issued ID one with picture.
- Must be eligible to travel to the US. (no criminal record)

Wrecks in the Prescott to Kingston area: Connestoga, Rothesay, Muscallonge, Daryaw, Gaskin, Kingshorn, J.B. King, Aloha & Effie Mai, Wolfe Islander, Comet, KPH, Davie, Marsh, Munson.... and the list goes on.

Originally posted by diver gadget
So can we check in with the US at the begining of the week and dive away or do we have to check in every day??

Sorry, I'm not sure, I've only gone over with day charters. I'll see if I can find out anything more, but here's the US Embassy contact info:

The Embassy of the United States of America
490 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, Ontario K1N 1G8 Canada
613-238-5335

Toronto Consulate
360 University Avenue
Toronto, Ontario
M5G 1S4 Canada
416-595-1700

my conversations and understanding..unless you are staying in the US you have to check in and out daily...much like if you were crossing the border on a daily basis................

From what we have been told you must check-in with u.s. customs check out with u.s. customs then check in with canadian customs in rockport. This is really creating a logistical nightmare for charter operators and will no doubt reflect in charter prices because of the added time and fuel, what used to be a quick out and back could now take several hours, the line ups at harh island could be long as you have to contend with the tour boats as well. There has been talk of exemptions for the america and keystorm because of their position but this is only rumors. American customs say this has always been the law but now will be strictly enforced.

Another concern you may want to investigate as well is the new canadian coast guard laws on how a charter boat or vessel carrying paying passengers must be equipped and the operator of this vessel must have proper certification a house boat may have gross tonnage which will not allow the average person to be able to operate it.

Just dive in the Canadian waters.

Or

Clear customs, dive park overnight in the USA dive, then return to Canada.

As Fred says, it's always been the law... but the happenings of last September have just made the law more important, and enforced.

Hi, I am going with Diver Gadget on the Houseboat. So even though this will be a personal pleasure craft without a chaptian or charrter we will have to ckeck in and out daily with US customs to dive us wrecks unless we stay on the US side??:confused: :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom