advice about where to dive in malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi, im going to dive in malaysia in sept for about 3 weeks. Anyone got any suggestions. Was actually thinking of giving sipadan a miss as think there may be too many divers there. Is it too good to miss? Has anyone got any feedback about diving in sangalaki in indonesia? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Xx

there are several interesting destinations (out of many islands surrounding the country). but which type of diving that you'd like to experience, and at what budget? The ones in Borneo are more expensive because their remote locations from the mainland, while the islands nearby are more affordable.

Here's my suggestion.

Peninsula Malaysia :
- Redang islands on the north-east of peninsula Malaysia offers various types of interesting coral reef areas, shallow to relatively deep (average max depth of around 30m).

- Tenggol and Bidong islands is a bit south of Redang, and regarded as the best diving destination in the peninsula (unless you hate underwater currents). Well known for its wall dives and the place to watch big fishes.

- Perhentian & Lang Tengah islands, north or Redang for easy and shallow dives (hardly reaching 28m at most sites). As good as Redang for the diversity of marine life but visibility can be quite punishing sometimes.

Borneo side :
- Mataking island is not for corals but recently getting popular for inverterbrates and large fishes. It's near Tawau (north of Sipadan).

- Miri (an area in Sarawak) hosts many dive sites and these are quite new, and it's popularity is catching up.

Other areas (other than Sipadan, Mabul & Kapalai) :
- are Perhentian islands (Terengganu), Tioman, Aur & Dayang islands (Johor) and Lankayan island (Sandakan-Sabah).

Hello Catherine,
welcome (Scub)aBoard! :balloon
Laurens

catherine10:
Hi, im going to dive in malaysia in sept for about 3 weeks. Anyone got any
suggestions. Was actually thinking of giving sipadan a miss as think there may
be too many divers there. Is it too good to miss? Has anyone got any feedback
about diving in sangalaki in indonesia? Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.Xx

hi Cat,
My advise is to dive in Redang,Perhentian or Tioman. Good rates best available Dive resort. Just came back from Redang.Beautiful island good dive sites.
Wanna follow me to sipadan in June 22nd. Prices you can refer to my nick name
cos i m scubabroke but a lots of dives.

cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom