Some new useful procedures in the SoCal forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headhunter

Renaissance Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everybody,

In an effort to make all of the regional forums around the world more useful to people travelling outside of the region covered by their local forum, we are implementing some new procedures. This is part of an ongoing effort to make things better, so please bear with us as the process is streamlined or needs to be changed.

Once you understand the goal, I think you'll all agree that this is a good thing.

First, I'll explain what has prompted this and then I'll explain what's changing.

In other parts of the world, the Trips and Local Marketplace forum is a busy place. People use it to plan their dives and events once they know that they are actually going to take place. In SoCal, we do all of this in the main forum. When people come to our local forum wanting to join us on local dives they look into the Trips and Local Marketplace forum first and don't find the info they are looking for. Conversely, when we SoCal members go to other regional forums looking for some scheduled local dives, we tend to not look into the Trips and Local Marketplace forums and miss out on what is going on locally.

The other thing that happens is that we quickly bury some of the non-event threads in the main forum, that would otherwise be of interest to us.

Now I'll share with you what we're going to try in our local SoCal forum. By the way, an example of a busy forum that has done things this way for quite a while is the Florida Conch Divers forum. Mo2vation has had an opportunity to see how this works first hand on a trip to Florida and has seen that it works efficiently.

If you have not scheduled a dive event yet and are simply looking for dive buddies, that can go in the main forum. As soon as you know that you have something going on, one of two things will happen. You can start a new "planning" thread in the Trips and Local Marketplace or you can start planning your event in the thread that you already started. When a thread has moved to the planning stages in the main forum, one of the moderators will move that thread to the Trips and Local Marketplace forum when they notice it has progressed this far. You could also PM a moderator and ask them to move the thread.

In addition to that, any event that is being put on by an dive club or shop whether it is for profit or non-profit will automatically belong in the Trips and Local Marketplace forum. If a thread is started in the main forum to let people know about some cool event that is happening, then it will be moved to the Trips and Local Marketplace. For instance, the Wrinkles planning threads will now be found in the Trips and Local Marketplace forum as will announcements about Chamber Day, The Long Beach Scuba Show, dive shop/certifying agency sponsored events, Chocolate Lobster dives, Underwater Easter Egg Hunts, etc.

We hope to help the SoCal local forum operate more like some of the other forums on the board in order to raise the level of relevance and ease of use across the board.

We won't start doing any of this until next week and are, of course, interested in your thoughts, comments, questions and suggestions.

Christian

So you want So Cal to operate like everyone else? Eeek! What will we talk about in the main forum??? :wink:

Ann Marie:
So you want So Cal to operate like everyone else? Eeek! What will we talk about in the main forum??? :wink:
Other SoCal diving "stuff"! :eyebrow:

Christian

Christian, I get the idea, but folks will have to remember to post not only the city, but the state as well. I saw something posted for Ft. Pierce. Where in the heck is that??? LOL

I don't know, I think So Cal stuff should stay in So Cal. Just my .02 cents.

I don't understand, can you explain that again??? Trips and Local Marketplace, what does Marketpace mean??

headhunter:
The other thing that happens is that we quickly bury some of the non-event threads in the main forum, that would otherwise be of interest to us.

Now I'll share with you what we're going to try in our local SoCal forum. By the way, an example of a busy forum that has done things this way for quite a while is the Florida Conch Divers forum. Mo2vation has had an opportunity to see how this works first hand on a trip to Florida and has seen that it works efficiently.

Its not about US being like everyone else - {yeah... a) like we care, and b) they're too busy trying to be like SoCal...} its more about putting stuff where we and others can find it easily. More of a quick reference / easy to find thing.

Now I won't need to dig through a growing list of sticky theads, local news, jabs at each other, mad love for Scott's photos (!) Scott's whining about the cold water (!!) and all that to find out what events are happening.

I like it. This should work well.

---
Ken

Diver_Jan:
Christian, I get the idea, but folks will have to remember to post not only the city, but the state as well. I saw something posted for Ft. Pierce. Where in the heck is that??? LOL

I don't know, I think So Cal stuff should stay in So Cal. Just my .02 cents.
Jan,

The SoCal stuff will not be somewhere else. SoCal stuff will stay in SoCal.

It's just that it will make it easier for someone from Florida, for example, to find stuff when they come to the SoCal forum and visa versa. This is because our forum will be set up just like their forum.

So, you won't need to post the state. It's all still in the SoCal forum.

Hope that helps.

Christian

ShakaZulu:
I don't understand, can you explain that again??? Trips and Local Marketplace, what does Marketpace mean??
The Marketplace is a place where people and businesses can promote themselves. This applies to individuals or businesses whether for profit or non-profit.

So, a dive shop could promote a trip or sale that they are having in this area.

This will also be the place where we can all put any trips or events we may want to promote. For instance, if you and the rest of the San Diego crew are going to take a boat to Los Coronados, you would put that info in that forum.

It's just a bit of tidying up to make things even easier to find through a little more granular categorization at the regional level.

Does that help?

Christian

headhunter:
Jan,

The SoCal stuff will not be somewhere else. SoCal stuff will stay in SoCal.

It's just that it will make it easier for someone from Florida, for example, to find stuff when they come to the SoCal forum and visa versa. This is because our forum will be set up just like their forum.

So, you won't need to post the state. It's all still in the SoCal forum.

Hope that helps.

Christian
This is the post Jan was referring to.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=1025414#post1025414
It appears to be a Florida dive in the SoCal dive reports.

MaxBottomtime:
This is the post Jan was referring to.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=1025414#post1025414
It appears to be a Florida dive in the SoCal dive reports.
Thanks! Now I understand what Jan is referring to.

I remember reading this and thinking to myself that I need to see if Florida has their own dive reports, so that I can move the post there. Well they didn't have one and I forgot to do something with it after deciding to think about what to do with it.

I just now moved it to the Florida Conch Divers forum and created an April '05 Dive Report thread. Maybe it will catch on there. :eyebrow:

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom