Nikon D70

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gianster

Contributor
Reaction score
Just bought a D70 with the kit lense plus 60mm and 10.5 fisheye. I am waiting for ikelite to produce the i-ttl housing to house it w/ ike 125 strobe then strobe"s". Came from oly 5050 with shutter lag. I hope to have rig together for late june trip to provo and grand turk. Any comments or opinions are appreciated on lenses, ports, etc....

gianster:
Just bought a D70 with the kit lense plus 60mm and 10.5 fisheye. I am waiting for ikelite to produce the i-ttl housing to house it w/ ike 125 strobe then strobe"s". Came from oly 5050 with shutter lag. I hope to have rig together for late june trip to provo and grand turk. Any comments or opinions are appreciated on lenses, ports, etc....

This is an honest question and maybe I have been out of the loop on the latest electronic camera gadgets. I do know how Thru The Lens (TTL) exposure metering operates but what are the differences between i TTL, eTTL and TTL? How will they make our pictures any better? Are there examples of TTL verse non TTL shots?

I tried that Nikon 10.5 mm on land, I am ready to buy that lens even before I buy the camera body. If I were to choose between a Canon or Nikon for an UW DSLR, the system that uses that 10.5mm would be my pick.

Your dome port for the 10.5mm, is an Ikelite/Aquatica 8" dome?

Dive Safe

I also went from C5050 to D70 almost a year ago. I am sure you will like it very much. Ikelite i-TTL housing should be available pretty soon. As far as lens go, for macro, my personal favourite is the 70-180mm macro but Nikon has discountiued it and Ikelite does not support it. Of the 60mm and 105mm, I would prefer the 105mm but it depends on what you are shooting. For tiny subject 1-2 inches long and very flighty critters, you will have more working distance with 105mm. You will have to be very close to the subject for real macro subject with 60mm and lighting becomes a bit tricky. However the 60mm will focus much much faster, especially coming from C5050. I tend to use 60mm for nightdive.
10.5mm is a nice lens but incredibly wide so get close. Ideally it is good for hugh reefscene if you have great visibility or big creatures > 5-6 ft long that you can get very close ie less than a meter.
The 12-24mm lens is much more versatile despite high cost and not quite as wide but it is also a lot more fuzzy about port/extension ring combination.

f3nikon:
This is an honest question and maybe I have been out of the loop on the latest electronic camera gadgets. I do know how Thru The Lens (TTL) exposure metering operates but what are the differences between i TTL, eTTL and TTL? How will they make our pictures any better? Are there examples of TTL verse non TTL shots?

I tried that Nikon 10.5 mm on land, I am ready to buy that lens even before I buy the camera body. If I were to choose between a Canon or Nikon for an UW DSLR, the system that uses that 10.5mm would be my pick.

Your dome port for the 10.5mm, is an Ikelite/Aquatica 8" dome?

Dive Safe

Ikelite/Aquatica 8" domeport does not seem to play well with the 10.5mm currently but it is great for the 12-24mm.

i TTL is the update version of d TTL used in Nikon D100 (or may be I should say replacement, since I don't really know the difference). D70 and D2X use i TTL. e TTL is Canon version of digital TTL. I don't think you can really compare the different TTL since most cameras will only use one version and not the other anyhow. I would assume that Nikon would claim that i TTL is better than d TTL since it is their newest TTL system.

ssra30:
Ikelite/Aquatica 8" domeport does not seem to play well with the 10.5mm currently but it is great for the 12-24mm.

i TTL is the update version of d TTL used in Nikon D100 (or may be I should say replacement, since I don't really know the difference). D70 and D2X use i TTL. e TTL is Canon version of digital TTL. I don't think you can really compare the different TTL since most cameras will only use one version and not the other anyhow. I would assume that Nikon would claim that i TTL is better than d TTL since it is their newest TTL system.

Thanks for the feedback, what is the problem with the 8" dome and the Nikon 10.5mm combo, are the edges not sharp? I was about to invest on one till now.

I see the "i" and "e" in TTL depends on the brand name. All are just TTL.

ssra30:
I also went from C5050 to D70 almost a year ago. I am sure you will like it very much. Ikelite i-TTL housing should be available pretty soon. As far as lens go, for macro, my personal favourite is the 70-180mm macro but Nikon has discountiued it and Ikelite does not support it. Of the 60mm and 105mm, I would prefer the 105mm but it depends on what you are shooting. For tiny subject 1-2 inches long and very flighty critters, you will have more working distance with 105mm. You will have to be very close to the subject for real macro subject with 60mm and lighting becomes a bit tricky. However the 60mm will focus much much faster, especially coming from C5050. I tend to use 60mm for nightdive.
10.5mm is a nice lens but incredibly wide so get close. Ideally it is good for hugh reefscene if you have great visibility or big creatures > 5-6 ft long that you can get very close ie less than a meter.
The 12-24mm lens is much more versatile despite high cost and not quite as wide but it is also a lot more fuzzy about port/extension ring combination.

Do you think I should return the 60mm and go for the 125mm? I have heard that the 60mm was easier to work with as far as focusing, etc...So I bought it. I am open minded as what to use. I am new to DSLR so I am going with what experienced users are telling me.

f3nikon:
Thanks for the feedback, what is the problem with the 8" dome and the Nikon 10.5mm combo, are the edges not sharp? I was about to invest on one till now.

I see the "i" and "e" in TTL depends on the brand name. All are just TTL.

Karl reported on wetpixel forum that he has severe vignette problem with 8"dome port and Nikon 10.5mm and I believed he tried it with a few different extension rings and so far no one has found the right combination of extension ring for the domeport and 10.5mm yet. However it works very well with 12-24mm. Karl's shots of the sharks were taken with 8" dome and 12-24mm lens.

gianster:
Do you think I should return the 60mm and go for the 125mm? I have heard that the 60mm was easier to work with as far as focusing, etc...So I bought it. I am open minded as what to use. I am new to DSLR so I am going with what experienced users are telling me.

Hmm, depends on what you like. 60mm is definitely easier to use due to faster focus however if you come from C5050, I don't think you will complain about 105mm focus speed. 105 is also bigger and bulkier so a bit more annoying to handle than 60mm.

Conventional wisdom would suggest that you start with 60mm first then get 105mm but I think that eventually you will end up using 105mm a lot more than 60mm if you like to take mostly macro stuff (well, that's pretty much the pattern that my divebuddies do, and I with the 70-180mm, the 60mm pretty much stayed in the bag most of the time). If I can have only one, I would definitely get the 105mm.

gianster:

All my staff shoots either a D100 or D70 but in an aquatica housing.

Just got off a liveaboard. The captain had a D100. Very nice housing. I'm an old 35mm SLR guy myself. I was very impressed with his results.

On this trip I was shooting video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom