Anyone going on Blackbeards May 25-31?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harvey6ft

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings! I've just stumbled onto this site and I'm very glad I did! I wish I'd known about this a few years ago, there's alot of great info. here.

Anyways.... Myself and a group of 5 other dive buddies are heading to Miami to take a Blackbeards dive vacation on May 25-31 2002. Anyone here going to be on Blackbeards the same week?

This will be the first trip on Blackbeards for half our group, the fourth for the rest of us. The whole liveaboard concept is the coolest! We always have a blast and can't wait to come back the following year.

Have a good one!
Harvey6ft

Hi Harvey,

I tried to get on that trip but there weren't any openings. Instead, I am doing the long weekend May 24 - 28. It will be my first live-a-board a la Blackbeard's. Can't wait!

Sandy

It's tough getting on Blackbeards on Memorial day week, We reserved our spots for this year almost a year and a half ago! You're really going to love it, just don't expect it to be the Queen Mary and you'll have the best dive vacation you could ask for. Every year they've got to pry us off the boat Fri. after the trip.... all of us are asking for applications to work on the boat by then :)

Here's a few things they don't tell you in the brochure....

Bring a seat cushion (buy one at a sporting goods shop or wall mart) the fiberglass benches get real hard after a few hours!

Bring clothes pins ( to dry towels, wetsuits etc. on the lifelines)

Bring a few CD's - they have a basic stereo with cd player but no cd's :(

And take lots of pictures!
Brian

Thanks Brian!

Those were all great tips. I only knew about the clothes pins (and stocking up on Bonine!).

I unfortunately do not have an underwater camera so if you take any photos - I'd love to see them! I'll just have to take mental snapshots. :)

Sandy

Originally posted by SunshineFish
I only knew about the clothes pins (and stocking up on Bonine!).
Sandy, If you check the box of Bonine, you'll see that the active ingredient is called Meclazine HCL. You can purchase this from your pharmacy "behind the counter" in it's generic form for waaay less than the Bonine brand name. You just need to ask the pharmacist directly for it since the generics are not kept out on the shelves.

As an example, I got a 100 count bottle from WalMart for $12.00 and on the shelf was a 12 dose box was $6.50 or so. That's 12&cent per dose vs. 54&cent per dose.

And on the camera...talk to me sweetly and I might just loan you my reefmaster (as long as I get it back).

I'm going on Blackbeard's June 1! Maybe we'll pass each other on the gangway <grin>.

A friend and I are going to do our AOW during the week. I'm so excited, I just can't wait. Unfortuately, I don't have a housing for my camera yet either;-0

But, I'm sure I'll have a great time anyway.

Thanks for the tips as well...anyone else have a suggestion on what to bring with?

Maybe we'll bump into each other in Bimini Sat. night.... Don't know if weekend trips make more than one port call - but I'll look for you!
Brian:)

Hopefully we will stop in Bimini Saturday night too. I sail out Friday so...

...6 MORE DAYS!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom