Need advice on Utila Resorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

striker

Reaction score
Am considering a week in June. Would really appreciate feedback on Laguna Beach Resort, Deep Blue, and/or Mango Inn. Not into roughing it anymore and would prefer the best combination of accomodation, dive operation, and fewest number of people on a boat that has shade. (Not too picky, hey?!)

Thanks for you help!

Update:
Thank you all for your advice and comments. We have decided to go to Deep Blue the week of 5/21-5/28. We'll post an update after we return.

Just had a w/end at Mango Inn. Accomodations are fine - nice wood cabins - excellent wood fire pizza restaurant on site. They are connected to & we dived with Utila Dive Centre which is about 15 mins walk away. Boat has shade but quite crowded (20) so would not recommend. LBR or Deep Blue seem better for advance divers in smaller groups. Best dive we did was when we hired a dug out & went out to Diamond Cay followed by lunch & beers at Susan's on Pigeon Cay.

My husband and I stayed at LBR last year and really enjoyed it. You aren't going to find Four Seasons-like accomodations in Utila, but we thought LBR was lovely. I posted a trip report last year - do a search, and I'm sure it will come up.

Dive staff and boats were great - it could get a bit crowded when snorkeling with the whale sharks, but not during dives.

Have a great trip.

Spent a week at Utila Lodge in January and had a chance to look over several other places. LBR is very nice but is secluded and the couple we spoke with said the the sand fleas were hot. I'd still take them into consideration along with the Utila Lodge. We had outstnding dives and were very well taken care of. Your big problem is getting reservations at this late date. email liz@roatan.com to get info on several options. She was very helpful and it is my understanding that they are brokers for several resorts in the Bay Islands. We had a ball and hope you do to!!!

striker:
Am considering a week in June. Would really appreciate feedback on Laguna Beach Resort, Deep Blue, and/or Mango Inn. Not into roughing it anymore and would prefer the best combination of accomodation, dive operation, and fewest number of people on a boat that has shade. (Not too picky, hey?!)

Thanks for you help!

Striker,

Deep Blue Resort. Big boat, not the fastest, but good shade forward. Swin...one of the best boat captains on the island. Deep Blue Resort... www.waves2222@aol.com. The resort is the newest on the island. I have experienced it several times recently (within past month) If it quiet and good that you want, contact Steve at the above web site and he will go overboardto make sure you find the right place for you on the island.

Regards,

Last time I stayed at Laguna Beach we rearely got to dive on the North side of the island. This was because the manager at the time wanted to get the kitchen closed earlier. I was not too happy about it, and would not return unless there was a different managr and a very strong statement that both morning dives would be on the North side every day.

Diving on the North side of Utila is entirely dependent on the weather. If the wind is blowing you don't want to go. Been there, tried that!!

Utila Dive Center now has a dedicated dive boat for resort divers, maximum 8 guests.

You might want to consider locations on the island as well. Deep Blue and Laguna beach are right next to each other on a some what private part of the island only accesible by boat. I would reccomend Deep Blue myself. It is a very nice resort and you can't beat the service. Mango Inn is in town, up the hill from the water front. A very nice place by the looks of it if you do not mind being in the middle of the activity, noise and close confinement of a small resort. They do have very nice grounds and a swimming pool but you are not going to be very near your dive boat etc.
The rooms at Laguna Beach are spread out over the grounds of the resort, being water front on the lagoon side with little porches hanging out over the water. Deep blue has all ocean front rooms with private balcony over looking the beach a few yards away.

Mango Inn is a 15 min walk to the dive boat. Not bad going but uphill coming home. Utila Lodge is in the middle of town and built over the water. fall out of bed and into the boat. VERY convienent to everything you are going to need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom