APOLLO BIO PRO Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OCscuba949

Registered
Reaction score
I was looking at getting a new pair of fins and am leaning towards either the APOLLO BIO PRO XT fins with spring straps or the Yellow APOLLO BIO-PRO fins with spring straps. Has anyone used either of these fins, and what were your thoughts on them? I think I may prefer the yellow ones because they are supposed to be a bit softer- and I am sometimes prone to leg cramps (at least when using my scubapro fins). Will the softer fins help to better prevent leg cramping? Any feedback is appreciated.

By far the best fins on the market. You won't regret them. I don't know about the Yellow's being any better for cramps. And I'll never know, since for some strange reason, Apollo doesn't make the Yellows in Large/Large. :(

Great fins. If I were buying today I would get the yellow. If you must dive in heavy surf, or if you ever dive solo the yellow is the ticket.

Personally I am a Jet fin guy, but the right tool for the right job.....

The Bio-Fin Pros are great fins—especially for blue/open water diving and long surface swimming. For any other situation, I use my Scubapro Jetfins. The stiffer Bio-Fin XTs, IMHO, are pointless—the original all-rubber Bio-Fins (not the early model plastic/composite Bio-Fins) were designed to be soft; they feel weird at first, but they definitely work. Making them stiffer does nothing for their performance except to make divers who are used to the “feel” of paddle fins feel better.

I'm likewise in the market for a new set of fins and have, after some research, also settled on the Apollo Bio Pro fin. My understanding is that the Pro XT variant, appart from being stiffer, comes in silver color, whereas the softer Pro variant comes in BOTH, black or yellow. The yellow sounds like fun, but somehow I just can't get the term "yummy yellow" out of my mind, and would probably end up feeling like bait while wearing them, which in my neck of the woods doesn't really mean a whole lot unless of course I happen to run into a giant catfish, and everyone on this forum knows just how ferocious these are :) Just kidding. Still, I think I'll stick with the basic black - it goes with anything...

BIGSAGE136, if you would, please elaborate on why you think that yellow would be color of choice for a solo diver. Just curious. Thanks.

Vie:
The Bio-Fin Pros are great fins—especially for blue/open water diving and long surface swimming. For any other situation, I use my Scubapro Jetfins. The stiffer Bio-Fin XTs, IMHO, are pointless—the original all-rubber Bio-Fins (not the early model plastic/composite Bio-Fins) were designed to be soft; they feel weird at first, but they definitely work. Making them stiffer does nothing for their performance except to make divers who are used to the “feel” of paddle fins feel better.

If you read the Rodales reviews, the XTs supposedly have slightly quicker accelleration with little downside to overall speed. I couldn't, for the life of me, feel the difference between the XTs and the Pros however. Now, I am a happy owner of a set of XTs. Well, most of the time... My son tends to snag them whenever I am not looking :)

Snowbear, after a few dozen dives with the BioFins, it just so happens I have a pair of Jetfins for sale :)

jwh

OCscuba949:
I was looking at getting a new pair of fins and am leaning towards either the APOLLO BIO PRO XT fins with spring straps or the Yellow APOLLO BIO-PRO fins with spring straps. Has anyone used either of these fins, and what were your thoughts on them? I think I may prefer the yellow ones because they are supposed to be a bit softer- and I am sometimes prone to leg cramps (at least when using my scubapro fins). Will the softer fins help to better prevent leg cramping? Any feedback is appreciated.

I purchased the black Bio Fins before my trip to Coz. and I can testify that they work. I felt no muscle fatigue or had no trouble in the current. On the last dive I spent most of the dive swimming against the current in order to look for sea horses(never found one) but my legs did not feel tired. Before I purchased I tried several different fins at my LDS and I am happy with the choice that I made.

Steve

to repeat what's already been said...I have the Pros too. The softer Pros do come in black and yellow (and blue?). Yellow makes a fashion statement I lacked the confidence to make. But more power to you. As for performance - who knows.

The original bio-fin pro black has a durometer hardness of 65 [+/-2]
the colored fins, blue, yellow, and special order white, pink have a
durometer hardness 68, slightly stiffer due to the color added to the
natural rubber. The bio-fin XT [Xtra Torque] is manufactured at a
75 durometer hardness and is much stiffer than the other models.
The XT is designed for those who prefer the "feel" of a stiffer fin
and/or wish to have more of a "push off" on first fin strokes, use
wider kick styles, or use frog style kicks, vertical kicks, etc. The
orginal pro will do all these kick styles as well, it takes a bit more
of a learning curve since it does not feel as if you have any resistance
which, of course, is the reason that the original pro models are the
most efficent with the least effort. It is all a matter of personal dive
style and preference.

Michael Brennan, President
Apollo Sports USA, INC.
www.diveapollo.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/