USS Moody

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubahound_1

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Has anyone dove the wreck of the Moody recently? Some friends of mine and I are planning to go sometime in the near future and want to get an idea of how we should plan for deco and etc. If you are interested in checking it out and your are certified for technical diving please PM me as I have a boat lined up just need to pick a date. Second dive will probably be to the Palawan.

scubahound_1:
Has anyone dove the wreck of the Moody recently? Some friends of mine and I are planning to go sometime in the near future and want to get an idea of how we should plan for deco and etc. If you are interested in checking it out and your are certified for technical diving please PM me as I have a boat lined up just need to pick a date. Second dive will probably be to the Palawan.

The Palawan is in my backyard since my boat is slipped in Redondo and I dive it all the time. I will be on vacation till April 18th but after that if you would like to dive the Palawan,I would be happy to take you out.

C-Ya Later!

scubahound_1:
I was near there last weekend. With the red tide, the vis was less than stellar, despite the 53F water. The ocean was flat most of the week until last night. Doesn't look good for this weekend either. The wreck sits in 140-145 feet. It is silted over, so there's not as much life on it as other wrecks. Someone removed the cave line that was tied between the two sections, but I plan to replace it the next time I'm there. The stern section, which is about 200 feet away from the bow section has the most life on it. The lifeboat davits rise high enough off the bottom to keep most of the silt away from the metridium and corynactis anemones.

Phil,

I have been on it recently. You should plan you deco for 150'. She sits at 147' in the sand. The last two times I have had good visibility. This is diving the bow section. The stern is in about 10' more or less shallower.

Jerry

Opening this old thread....

What's the Moody like these days? Is she still in good enough shape to want to plan a dive?

I was on her mid November (10 minutes) and December (spent 20 minutes between the bow and the split area).

Seemed okay, nothing more spectacular than let's say the Olympic II. But, enough to keep me happy.

She was not silted over (like it says in the '05 post), don't know about the line between the sections, as I didn't even know one was there at one time.

The bow is covered in net, the innards are visible around that area, including what looks like a gun turret and a box the size of a small refrigerator. Oh, yeah, and a bunch of sea life including a meddy that was a few feet in from the bow.

Visibility in December was easily over 15 ft.

I would do her again.

YouTube - Moody Wreck
That is video I shot about 8 or 9 years ago. The last time I was there the line was laid from the top of the bridge on the bow section to the davit shown in the video on the stern. I found a wolfeel under the bow the dive before last, but couldn't find it last time. There are two small wrecks in the area that have several wolfeels on them. Once I am able to completely remove the net from the Fog Wreck I may find more.
YouTube - Fog Wreck

how much and when is the chater

how much and when is the chater

Hey Matt,

You could check with Hollywood Divers. I know they dive the Moody, as I have seen their cool orange boat out there. They run great operations (if you didn't know that already). :D They are highly recommended.

I went on a privately chartered RIB and left out of Cabrillo.

Not sure what other boat would go. Since it's considered a technical dive and most boats seem to steer away.

If you have a group of guys that want to dive it you can contact Hollywood Divers and see if they will do a private charter or I can give you the name and number of who I went with.

K

Hey Matt,

You could check with Hollywood Divers. I know they dive the Moody, as I have seen their cool orange boat out there. They run great operations (if you didn't know that already). :D They are highly recommended.

I went on a privately chartered RIB and left out of Cabrillo.

Not sure what other boat would go. Since it's considered a technical dive and most boats seem to steer away.

K

Second stage will go but they are not the cheapest and they get nervous as it's in a shipping lane -- you are more likely to end up diving ships rock with 2nd stage unless weather is 100%

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom