Which reel.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rbruen

Reaction score
I've just completed the theory and confined dives for my Wreck cert.... and am looking to purchase a decent primary reel before the open water stuff.

Can anyone suggest a good reel - easy to use with thick gloves, a positive locking mechanism, and not overly prone to tangles?

Check out Reef Scuba. They have a large selection, great customer service and pretty reasonable prices. I have the 4" Enclosed Reel and it works well for me. It doesn't have the trigger lock, but being enclosed, I've never tangled it.

Good luck with your Wreck Cert. I do my confined water dives on May 18th and my open water dives in June and July.

Ty

You want the Halcyon 400. Simplicity. Stay away from enclosed reels (if you get a bird's nest you're screwed) and from reels with other than smooth sides (can be easily snatched out of your hand when shooting a bag if screw isn't out far enough). Stay far away from any non-standard design.

Some folks like Aqua Explorers' reel (made by Dan Berg) but I've never seen one in the flesh so I can't say.

Tom

simple IS best regardless of whether dive-rite, OMS, halcyon,
reef-scuba, etc.

I own an OMS and a Reef-SCUBA. Both work well, neither has
a "ratchet" or "anti-foul" mechanism, and the only time I ever
had an entanglement was as a result of MY lack of attention.

Do yourself a favor, regardless of what you select: practice,
practice, practice *BEFORE* your life depends on your ability
to deploy and use the reel.

You may want to check out the Manta reels, with the spring loaded locking mechanism. I've yet to foul one up. However, I say "yet". To get more info on this particular reel, do a search on this board of "Manta reel".

I second Reef Scuba I also use the Enclosed Reel it also works good fof me. Never had any prob.:mean:

I'll second the practice, practice, practice comment by GM.

Mike

I'll third the comment on practicing....especially when to shooting a bag while "free floating" in the water column. (I really goofed up on my first time trying to do it at 20 ffw during the deco procedures class. I arrived at the surface just 1 second behind my bag. So I definitely see lots of practice in my immediate future before I head out to the great blue).

As far as running the reel while on the wreck, your instructor should provide you with some good info/tips/techniques on how to do this.

Back
Top Bottom