CT lake diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm spoiled by diving in Cozumel Mexico for the last two years. I used to dive Squantz Pond and Lake Candlewood thirty years ago. I understand that they're not so good anymore. Can anyone recommend any lakes in CT worth diving this spring and summer.
I live in the lower Naugatuck River Valley area.

scubajim:
I'm spoiled by diving in Cozumel Mexico for the last two years. I used to dive Squantz Pond and Lake Candlewood thirty years ago. I understand that they're not so good anymore. Can anyone recommend any lakes in CT worth diving this spring and summer.
I live in the lower Naugatuck River Valley area.
Would like to hear of some myself, I live in portland and I understand the quarry will open to diving this year (rumor) Im too old to sneak into dive sites anymore! but I still do. Would be nice to have a place to tune up without sneaking in. I assume your somewhere south of waterbury?

dbg40:
Would like to hear of some myself, I live in portland and I understand the quarry will open to diving this year (rumor) Im too old to sneak into dive sites anymore! but I still do. Would be nice to have a place to tune up without sneaking in. I assume your somewhere south of waterbury?

Live in Derby which is half way between Bridgeport & Waterbury. My dive budddies live in Stamford. They're telling me about Ft Weatherill, but I'm trying to find someeplace closer. I'm too old to be sneaking into places too.

scubajim:
Live in Derby which is half way between Bridgeport & Waterbury. My dive budddies live in Stamford. They're telling me about Ft Weatherill, but I'm trying to find someeplace closer. I'm too old to be sneaking into places too.

West Hill Pond's not too bad: DEP: West Hill Pond

Basically, just ride Rt. 8N up to Barkhamsted.

I dove Squantz Pond last year, and won't go back. DEP officer was a pain in the ***, and made us carry our gear 1000 yards down to the pond rather than let us unload halfway down on an access road. Ended up not seeing anything, either.

I do a lot of lake diving and still prefer it to ocean diving somedays.

I like West Hill and Bashan Lake and have dove them many times.
Mashapaug is OK but still clear.

Actually Im up for a lake dive soon this weekend if the surface temps are in the 40's.

Please Remeber. You can NOT dive from a boat ramp any more. This means you have to make your entry and exit away from the boat ramp.

I've been in West Hill Pond a couple times and the visibility was decent. It's a good option for a lake dive in Connecticut.

I've been in Mashapaug Lake (which is in northeastern Connecicut in Bigelow Hollow State Park) a few times and I've yet to have any decent visibility. Last year, I even swam into a picnic table on the bottom that I couldn't see ahead of time. Pretty funny.

Michael

I cant get the link to work, can you give me any info on West Hill, or Bashon? how deep? whats the bottom like? general vis? where the heck are they? (in general) our quarry here in town is a big one, but I think the town is gonna turn it over to a privateer that has somthing to do with the scuba shack. If I get excluded or have to pay to dive there after town tax $ went to buy it Im gonna be PISSED as it is you have to sneak in. He is supphosed to have plans to put in platforms for classes, even open water, it goes to about 80'. But like any other quarry the vis goes to sh.. after 35'-40' ,wouldent mind a little better dive spot.

West Hill Pond: Looks like the CT DEP site is down right now. Try later. The site has a good depth map and info. Anyway, West Hill Pond is just south of Winsted, right off of Route 8 (about a half hour ride north from
Waterbury). Max depth about 60', easy shore entry from canoe dock. Mix of sand, rock and silt, with plant life, trout, bass, sunfish, etc. I haven't done too many dives there, but have had good vis in general (at least 20').

Ill check back on it later, sounds pretty good. Thanks so much! Dave.

West hill is the best. Just be responsible so we can keep diving there. My favorite dive is off the pinnacle from a rented boat etc.

There are some nice cliff dives also.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom