nikonos lens and above water use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver371:
why can't the 28mm or the 15mm lenses be used above water? what would happen? has anyone even dared defy the sacred manual? :p

Jay

Sure; there are distortion and focus issues. You should try it and see for yourself.

These lenses are "underwater only" in that they were designed for a glass-to-water interface, and are sharpest when underwater.

The 28mm can be used above water. Setting focus at about 1 meter (actually a tad less) will become "infinity" above water. Slowing down the shutter, to give a bigger depth of field, will help cover for the inexactness.

There is no similar focus kluge that I've found (or heard of) for the 20mm or 15mm.

All the best, James

Hi Jay:

I hope you didn't throw away the 35mm that comes standard with almost every Nikonos rig. For years I have used it for above water shots after dives or when I want to bring a camera into a wet environment and do not want to risk damaging a landlubber camera. Yes, it is limited and manual, but works just fine. I will try to dig up and post some pics.

---Bob

Jay:

Shot by my wife, Lynne, with my Nikonos III and 35mm lense.

---Bob

RMA.jpg

diver371:
why can't the 28mm or the 15mm lenses be used above water? what would happen? has anyone even dared defy the sacred manual? :p

Jay

Hi Jay,

The Nikonos 28mm f/3.5 UW-Nikkor actually can be used above water. The front element of 28mm lens is a concave lens for correcting some of the underwater optical aberrations. So it's a very sharp lens underwater. If you shoot topside scene with the 28mm lens, the horizon will appear curved unless you place the horizon at dead center.

The front glass of Nikonos 15mm f/2.8 UW-Nikkor is a small dome port. The dome port is acting as a strong concave lens underwater for correcting underwater optical aberrations. The focusing scale of this lens is designed for underwater use only.

I have actually used 15mm lens for topside photos with fairly sharp results. Here is how I did it:

Set your 15mm lens to infinity, close down the aperture to f/22 and place the dome port to nearly touching the subject and shoot with a Nikonos SB-105 setting at TTL. You can try it out yourself and expect to get some extreme wide angle close up shots.

Cheers,

Terry

By the way, the 15mm is probably the greatest optics for UW.
The 35mm is one of the most memorable lenses Nikkor ever made, with not only a great history under its name, but based on one of the most famous land lenses and an ingenious project, where you can have perfect control of the aperture and depth of field, not leaving a single drop of quality falling on the ground.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom