Reinforced drygloves, for Lobsta diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtsidford

Reaction score
This will be my first year diving dry. I just bought a CF200 w/ zipseals and zipgloves. The majority of my weekly diving is for lobsters in Gloucester. I'd like to extend my bottom time in the chilly waters using my zipseal drygloves. However the spiny little *******s are likely to rip through my gloves day one. My question to you all is this... Have any of you come up with a way to bulletproof your drygloves for diving? I'm thinking about some X-large gardening/other gloves to be worn over my liner and drygloves? Has anyone tried this? Perhaps some kind of abrasion resistant, flexable tape might do the trick? Thank you for your help. Hope to see you out there soon. Sid

I haven't tried it, but those both sound like good options. If you can get a good fit, I'd try enormous gardening gloves first.

I know people who just keep a set of Kevlar over their blue gloves and only remove them if they need the extra dexterity. Seems to work for them, one gentleman was replacing his blue gloves every couple of months and since he's switched he has had the same pair of gloves has lasted a couple of years now.

I was at Home Depot a few years ago and saw a bottle of "dipping rubber". You dip the handle of a tool into it and it coats it with rubber. Looked cool and I thought it would help save my gloves. Dipped my glove tips and it looked great. Very flexible and grippy. A week later I took them diving and when they hit the 40° water... rock hard. I could have hammered nails with them and since it was such good stuff, it would never come off. Time for a new pair of gloves :wink:

decapoddiver:
A week later I took them diving and when they hit the 40° water... rock hard.
I wonder if it would work if you painted it on and left the joints free. It might be more trouble than it's worth.

Viking has a knit Kevlar overglove, it works well on Zebes & other mussels, barnacles, etc, but the spines from an attacking urchin can sneak through.
For urchins, I'd try a pair of leather mittens, leather gloves are too hard to get on & off u/w.

MSilvia:
I wonder if it would work if you painted it on and left the joints free. It might be more trouble than it's worth.

I only dipped the tips and not the joints so ....no. It would not work. Not in our colder water. Out of the water it appeared to be great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom