Wrinkles May '05 Dive and BBQ planning thread - La Jolla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headhunter

Renaissance Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've started this new thread for planning purposes.

I'll keep updating this first post as a synopsis of the info in this thread and will include links to other Wrinkles threads for easy reference.

When: Saturday, May 14th
Where: La Jolla Shores, San Diego County

What is the Wrinkles Dive?

This is a monthly gathering of all divers and non-divers in SoCal who can make it. It's a lot of fun involving diving, eating, socializing and last month even camping!

It all started when our SoCal member, Wrinkles, mentioned to a group that she dove with that it would be really fun to be able to get together at least once a month. Pasley, took off with the idea and announced the first "Wrinkles Dive". The rest is history!

It's open to everyone of all skill levels from "I'm not certified yet" to "Do we really have to dive the Andrea Doria again?"

We've found this to be a great way to meet our fellow divers locally and many new dive buddies have been found though these "dive soirees".

Info on La Jolla:

Dive Sites

DIRECTIONS

Beach info

RSVP:

I've started a ScubaBoard Calendar event for you to RSVP here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=353&day=2005-5-14&c=32
(you can now rsvp and include your guest count!)

Please sign up on the Calendar, so that we can get a headcount for food.

If there will be more than one person in your party, please let us know by including your count when you RSVP, should your guest count change, please update your party size on the calendar.

Attendance:
Let me know if I've misrepresented anyone's attendance here.

Saturday: (16)
headhunter (1)
ShakaZulu (1)
divebuddysean (1)
divinman (1)
domskynetlabs (1)
wrinkles (1)
Rouky (2)
Peter McGuinness (1)
Mr Clean (1)
ryanarcher (1)
kelphelper (2)
TeqP (3)

Loose Schedule of events:

8:00AM - First Dive
11:00AM - Second Dive
12:00AM - Lunch
2:00PM - Third Dive
5:00PM - Fourth Dive
7:30PM - Night Dive (Sunset, bring your lights, extra batteries and warm clothes)
9:00PM - Dinner and more socializing at Rock Bottom Restaurant/Brewery

Items needed:

• EZup
  • BBQ grill accessories (charcoal - Match Light, tongs, etc..)
    - ShakaZulu
  • Utensils
    • plates - headhunter
    • napkins - headhunter
    • forks - headhunter
    • knives - headhunter
    • trash bags - headhunter
  • Condiments:
    • ketchup - ShakaZulu
    • mayo - ShakaZulu
    • mustard - ShakaZulu
    • lettuce
    • tomatoes
    • onions
    • pickles
  • Side Dishes
    1. Baja Rolls - kelphelper
    2. ?
    3. ?
  • Fruit
  • Bananas - divebuddysean (2 sets)
  • Oranges
  • Veggie tray - kelphelper
  • Chips - divebuddysean (2 bags)
  • Dessert
    1. ?
    2. ?
    3. ?
  • Hamburgers - TeqP
  • Hamburger Buns - TeqP
  • Hot dogs
  • Hot dog Buns
  • Hot Chocolate and Instant Coffee - domskynetlabs
  • Water - Mr Clean

Air Fills:

Dive Pro San Diego
3740 Sports Arena Blvd #9
San Diego, CA, 92110
619-221-9001

or

OE Express Scuba and Kayak Center
2158 Avenida de la Playa
La Jolla, CA 92037
858-454-6195

Tide Predictions:

La Jolla, Scripps Pier, California
7 May 2005 - 8 May 2005
32.8667° N, 117.2567° W

Saturday 2005-05-14
12:33 AM PDT 4.31 feet High Tide
05:50 AM PDT Sunrise
09:08 AM PDT 0.32 feet Low Tide
05:57 PM PDT 3.23 feet High Tide
07:40 PM PDT Sunset
07:54 PM PDT 3.20 feet Low Tide

Sunday 2005-05-15
01:47 AM PDT 3.94 feet High Tide
05:49 AM PDT Sunrise
10:11 AM PDT 0.42 feet Low Tide
06:06 PM PDT 3.48 feet High Tide
07:41 PM PDT Sunset
10:29 PM PDT 2.97 feet Low Tide

2005 Wrinkles Schedule:
Note: For easier planning it was decided by the SoCal members that starting in March the Wrinkles Dives would take place on the 2nd weekend of each month. Also, based on future demand, these dives may be extended further north by adding Santa Barbara County to the rotation for the 2006 calendar year.

January 29th, Saturday - San Diego County - La Jolla Shores
February 26th, Saturday - Orange County - Heisler Park
March 12th, Saturday - Catalina Island - Avalon Dive Park
April 9th and 10th, Saturday and Sunday - Los Angeles/Ventura County - Leo Carrillo
May 14th, Saturday - San Diego County - La Jolla Shores
June 11th, Saturday - Orange County - Heisler Park
July 9th, Saturday - Catalina Island - Avalon Dive Park
August 13th, Saturday and Sunday - Los Angeles/Ventura County - Leo Carrillo
September 10th, Saturday - San Diego County - La Jolla Shores
October 8th, Saturday - Orange County - Heisler Park
November 12th, Saturday - Catalina Island - Avalon Dive Park
December 10th and 11th, Saturday and Sunday - Los Angeles/Ventura County - Leo Carrillo

I'll update this post as we have more info.

Christian

We should really try to arrange a method for diving the Cove, and maybe even the South Wall. Does anyone have a boat to take divers to these locations??? Could we perhaps rent one??

The Dive Animals Scuba Club is having their picnic on the same day (May 7). They are having free boat dives(for DA members) from the La Jolla Boat launch. Most of the guys I dive with in SD are Dive Animals. I'll definitely be going to the Wrinkles BBQ but I'll have to do at least a boat dive with the DA if I can get one! The pinnicles out from the cove are really nice (Anchor Rock, God's Rock(Quast), plus as you mentions Buoy B on the South wall... Or even a few in the Scripps canyon!!
If someone could bring down an inflatable we could do these dives as well with the Wrinkles BBQ.... I know John A has an inflatable, but I don't think he has an engine yet... Does anyone have one?

Dive Animals Scuba Club might get lots of new members within a few weeks :11:

No boat, No engine only two legs with fins for me.

See you guys out there (granted I'm not needed somewhere else).....I'll bring an extra 10x20 EZ up tent with shaded walls .

Question for you guys in San Diego.

Should I add another place for air fills or is OE Express the only thing that's close to the shores?

I seem to remember something else, but I can't remember for sure.

Thanks.

Christian

You guys must know my schedule at work cause it seems like you keep planning these BBQs on weekends I have to work.. :wink:

AGAIN I wish I could be there, but the Navy owns me, so they use me as they see fit.. HAH Ill be there in spirit though...

OEX is the closest to the shores, but we like to use DivePro since he gives good fills and can fill Nitrox. Josh is very cool too. I could talk to him and see if he could come pick up and deliver our tanks(filled of course) for a fee... It may make things a lot easier... It seems last time OEX did not appriciate our business and gave us short fills....

Give me the word and I will call Josh,

Sean

divebuddysean:
OEX is the closest to the shores, but we like to use DivePro since he gives good fills and can fill Nitrox. Josh is very cool too. I could talk to him and see if he could come pick up and deliver our tanks(filled of course) for a fee... It may make things a lot easier... It seems last time OEX did not appriciate our business and gave us short fills....

Give me the word and I will call Josh,

Sean
Hey Sean,

You may have something there. OEX had actually mentioned that they might provide this pick up/delivery service to us, but never followed through with any of it.

I have to say that I was unimpressed with most of the people working at OEX. There was one gentleman working there that seemed to actually care about people and had a great attitude. The others simply displayed an aloof attitude. One instructor appeared he thought he was "too good" to actually have a conversation with people that walked in. This was simply what I got through standing back and observing while waiting for all of the fills.

Also, we had commited to buying things from them based on small discounts and they simply ignored that. The items were not there when we arrived, so they lost those sales.

In addition to that, in order for ICY ICE to negotiate a deal (not great) for the many fills we were going to get from them, they wanted him to put everything on his own credit card. That seemed impractical. While I was there, they were whining about having to maintain their compressor to accomodate all of our business.

So, I'm interested in what Josh might be able to offer. It sounds like he may be more willing to work with a large number of divers. Obviously, at one extreme, no one is going to want to pay $10 per fill for air in order to have someone pick up their tanks, but he may want to work something out that makes sense.

The only reason we keep going back to OEX is because they are only 2 blocks away and we can walk there.

Please talk to Josh and let him know that people are interested in knowing what he can do for us.

Thanks.

Christian

headhunter:
Question for you guys in San Diego.

Should I add another place for air fills or is OE Express the only thing that's close to the shores?

I seem to remember something else, but I can't remember for sure.

Thanks.

Christian

The next nearest shop is sports chalet in UTC; they give good fills and seem to be able to handle a heavy workload. It's a 10 minute drive up there, so taking into account the usual parking problems, it is probably a 90+ minute exercise to get a dozen tanks filled.
I suppose we could ask Anne Marie to make special arrangements for us.....

Peter

ShakaZulu:
We should really try to arrange a method for diving the Cove, and maybe even the South Wall. Does anyone have a boat to take divers to these locations??? Could we perhaps rent one??

There you go theres a better picture!

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom