Oil Rigs Dive Buddy - April 16th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ICY ICE

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey divers,

I'm looking for an advance dive buddy for the oil rigs on the Sea Bass. The last time I was out there the water was beyond blue with visablity that streched across the rigs.

Fee: $95.00 includes air/food, boat leave from San Pedro: 22nd Landing.

Call me or E/M - ice@mctoday.com

I would LOVE to go, but I am not "advanced" yet.... What exactly makes the oil rigs an advanced dive? depth? I have heard nothing but great things about them, and hope to dive them in the near future....

Stryker:
I would LOVE to go, but I am not "advanced" yet.... What exactly makes the oil rigs an advanced dive? depth? I have heard nothing but great things about them, and hope to dive them in the near future....

300+ Depth, currents, surges and the boat comes to get you when you surface.

I didnt mean overall depth... I meant is the actual dive depth advanced (over 60'+)??

It sounds like a great dive though.... what are the most frequently seen types of life seen on an oil rig? I am sure lots of anemonies

Those are some great pictures... looks like a really nice dive... If I could, I would definitely be there....

Stryker:
I didnt mean overall depth... I meant is the actual dive depth advanced (over 60'+)??

It sounds like a great dive though.... what are the most frequently seen types of life seen on an oil rig? I am sure lots of anemonies

You can dive above 60'.

"The advance" - On a typical boat dive we are used to going down the anchor to the bottom of the ocean, not on at this one.

On this dive you get dropped off +/- 10 yard away from the rigs(Eureka, Ellen, and Elly) and you must swim to the center of them and decend. It's imperative that you have excellent control of your depth. Durring your dive you will see the most amazing amount of amemonie, and invertebrates species, as you further descend you will notice the sea life change. I noticed different type of species live at certain depths and others species I have only seen here. Occasionally you will see a resident Mola Mola, among the thousands of school fish, garibaldi, blacksmith, carmelitas and many more.

Again you are diving in open waters where currents are common and surges can suck you up to the surface from 10-15' depth.

I will only dive this with an active diver with a minimum AOW.

The rigs are very beatyfull, this will be my second visit this year and probably will do another this year.

Stryker:

"advanced" dives on a boat don't mean deeper than 60ft. You don't need an advanced card to dive deeper than 60ft, they don't give a ****.

The problem is when there is no bottom, like on an oil rig... you could sink for a long time! In addition, there is no "land" around, so if you drift away, you could be in big trouble...

It's factors like this that make them require an "advanced" card.

Scott

Sorry Divers,

I got the spotted filled, you missed an excellent boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom