lake diving in Worcester

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gabriel90512

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just moved form Waltham to Worcester and I see all kinds of lakes and ponds
as I'm driving around the west part of Worcester..... and I'm getting the itch to explore :)
any one know if there are any lakes to dive around here....

also if you are on the Mass Pike just after exit 10 there is a big lake on the right hand side.. anyone know if you can dive that lake ...

Thanks

Gabe

DO NOT dive Quinsigamond. Cruddy vis and not much to see. I live in Shrewsbury and would much rather go to the coast than dive fresh around here. I haven't found a "local" pond/lake that had good dive opportunities yet but I'm still looking.

or is that "Woostuh"? :eyebrow: Warchester?

Does this mean you are no longer interested in NF Lake as soon as the ice melts?

In the "Worcester area" are Lake Quinsigamond, Lake Lashaway (East Brookfield), Comet Pond (Hubbardston), Mirror Lake (Devens?), Brooks Pond (North Brookfield, Spencer ...), Browning Pond (Spencer?), South Pond (Brookfield) and a bunch of other lakes and ponds.

Check with Inland Divers in Leicester, MA. They might have an up-to-date list of the diveable lakes, etc. and their conditions, etc.

Be prepared for a 'mud-dive' and likely shallow regardless of where you go.

What were they like?

decapoddiver:
What were they like?

I've "Scoobered" Brooks Pond, Comet Pond, South Pond, Mirror Lake, Webster Lake.

From memory ...

They are (were?) all mud-hole dives. However, if you don't mind that type of bottom and you stay off of it they are dives. Mirror Lake and Brooks Pond were the darkest of the lot. It is not unusual in Brooks Pond to be able to see only a foot or so because of the darkness of the bottom. The advantage of Brooks is that you won't be run over by some chucklehead in a speed boat.

I have not been in Comet Pond, South Pond or Webster Lake for many years. I am hoping to try Comet Pond again this year. Ironically, a cousin of mine drowned, while SCUBA diving, in South Pond. She vomited underwater; keep that in mind for those who claim it's no problem to vomit underwater.

I have snorkeled in Lashaway but would not risk SCUBA ... too many chuckleheads in speed boats and the water is nasty.

I snorkeled Browning Pond ... too shallow for a SCUBA dive in my opinion. I recall that were WAAAYYYY out from shore and could still see the bottom.

I have avoided Quinsigamond for the reason you stated. Nasty water; too many boats.

Personally I do not mind diving in lakes ... no need to rinse NaCL H2O.

Green you know im first on the list for the NF lake dive :)

Green_Manelishi:
or is that "Woostuh"? :eyebrow: Warchester?

Does this mean you are no longer interested in NF Lake as soon as the ice melts?

In the "Worcester area" are Lake Quinsigamond, Lake Lashaway (East Brookfield), Comet Pond (Hubbardston), Mirror Lake (Devens?), Brooks Pond (North Brookfield, Spencer ...), Browning Pond (Spencer?), South Pond (Brookfield) and a bunch of other lakes and ponds.

Check with Inland Divers in Leicester, MA. They might have an up-to-date list of the diveable lakes, etc. and their conditions, etc.

Be prepared for a 'mud-dive' and likely shallow regardless of where you go.

Green_Manelishi:

Personally I do not mind diving in lakes ... no need to rinse NaCL H2O.

I would not personally apply that notion of so called "fresh" water in Worcester. Ha ha ha! You would probably want to consider your gear a biohazzard after one of those places.

Just kidding with you Worcester folk. I know there have been a "gun or two" recovered from Worcester lakes - especially Quinsigamond.

--Matt

and three cars in Quinsig. I will NEVER dive there again.

http://www.masslakes.com/thelakeguy.html

This gentleman has some lake links on his site to info on lakes and he has a little scuba dude so he may know lakes that are dive friendly. I think you are gonna find that diving lakes in this area is not worth getting your gear dirty. What are you thinking moving west the ocean is east of Waltham.

ScubaNorth:
I think you are gonna find that diving lakes in this area is not worth getting your gear dirty.

Unless the water is in fact a biohazard, or full of chemicals, the beauty of any lake is that the water is not dirty so all you need do is rinse sand and let dry.

Back
Top Bottom