coil lanyard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustinW

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, the east coasters won't like this idea, but spearos here are different. In the murkey and dark waters of California we hunt in the kelp, against the rocks for small to medium fish (large ling being the upper end of most of our game). I shoot a 38 special NW and have shot similar setups before with the coil lanyard. What are the thoughts and opinions on switching out the line for a coil lanyard for faster reloading and just generally trying to reduce my task load underwater. Holding onto the gun, wrapping line, handling the fish, maintaining neutral bouyancy and getting everything loaded again, it just seems to be a pain, and if the line isn't loaded in the right order, it won't go back on. What are your thoughts?

is the coil lanyard still going to be attached to the gun? Or you?

What ever you decide.... just stay safe... and do the best you can to catch all you can more often.... if it helps you... why not?

Jorgy

P.S.
Im an east coaster..... and see nothing wrong with this...

coil lanyard is attached to the gun, it replaces the standard line and shock cord on the smaller guns. My prediction was that there are a lot of freeshaft shooters in the east along with guys shooting farther distances and bigger stuff, I don't think the coil would work for that

OK for small fish but larger fish will permanantly take the coil out or cause kinks.Mebbe up to 10# fish.You think the nylon lanyard is bad try to reload a tangled auto-coil.Use some 300# to 500# monofilament line to make reloads a little easier.

save your money and forget the coil. the first poorly hit fish you shoot will stretch and tangle the coil. go to spearfishingspecialties.com and order a speadloader or make one yourself. the speedloader doubles the line and makes reload simple and fast. with a little practice you can reload without taking your eyes off the fish. hope this helps. good luck

thank you, just the feedback I was looking for, a 10# fish is well within my target range and something I will come upon frequently. I think I will stick with what I've got then.

I use a coil on my guns and have for years. I've shot some pretty big ling cod with it and never had a problem. I love them because they make it so easy to reload the gun.

Scott

I've tried the coil lanyard for a while and did not really care for it. I found that it tangles pretty easily, and that I lost significant distance.

My solution to make the shockline more manageable was to shorten the shockline by a loop. Unless you're doing something extreme to power up the gun and/or make alot of hail mary type shots, you'll still have plenty of line. But, the shorter line will be much easier to manage.

A coil lanyard begins to decellerate the shaft immediately and the effect gets almost exponentially worse with distance so range and impact are severely affected. So unless the range is very short or the fish fairly small, a coil lanyard is less than ideal.

Besides, if you hit what you are shooting at the first time, the extra reload time with a conventional line and shock cord is insignificant.

Ditto on Auto-coils slowing the shot and getting tangled.

I use 400 pound mono or cable for my line guns, depending on where I shoot them.

I prefer freeshafting, but it's not always clear enough, and some places there's just no bottom.

Chad

Back
Top Bottom