spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stoggie

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey are there any spearfishing groups or instructors on the East coast? I live in Pennsylvania and am a PADI advanced open water, with nitrox certs,about 160 dives. When I inquire about spearfishing in New Jersey, Delaware or Maryland I run into a deadend. I would like to learn and fish! Stoggie

Stoggie
Some friend and I are in the same boat. Our LDS dosn't offer the specialty. We emailed MidAtlantic Scuba Center. They offer the course and said they will find some dates for us.
Dave

Just curious, why do you think you need a specialty certification to spearfish? I'm not sure what benefit you would get, unless the instructor is a master spearfisher. IMHO a class by a diving organization isn't likely to teach you much about it.

^^^^^^

What he said.... best way is to learn by trial and error......... You don't need a coarse to be able to do everything..... you don't need a coarse to wipe your arse do you? Don't put so much on cert. Unless your one of those guys that gets a bunch of certifications to "show off"...... but at the end of the day... i'd rather be experianced than certified..... who certified Custou? LOL

Just go to

www.spearboard.com

Take everything loosly.... but learn... go and get yourself a spear gun.... practice and fish.... that is about all you can do to learn....

Just my $.02

Jorgy

I didn't take a course for spearfishing; however, It does really help to go out with experienced spearfishermen the first couple of times.

One thing you might want to do is to get a gun and practice shooting targets in the shallows. When you can hit something (like a weighted milkjug) and feel comfortable shooting, removing the spear, and reloading, then start stalking fish.

Definately checkout spearboard at the link Fast posted. Outstanding source of information on spearfishing.

Since when has learning to do anything by trial and error been the best way?
And why would spearfishing be any different?

It sounds like you just need to get to the right place to find competent spearfishing instruction.
And there's probably no place better than St Petersburg, Florida!

Take a look at some of these first time spearfishers in these pics on the bottom of my instruction page. http://www.mobilescuba.com/instruction.htm.,

A bunch of them are now avidly on Spearboard, as am I.
That's Scott/Zeagle on the bottom left, Bill Howell on the middle right, and T-Rocks69 on the middle left.

While you're on my site take a look at http://www.mobilescuba.com/Big Fish.htm

I can order SDI Underwater Hunter C-cards for my students, but in 28 years of teaching I've never had anybody ask for one. (Don't have one of my own, but I wrote the spearfishing section of Spearfishing Magazine's spearfishing/lobstering guide.)

Chad

I would recommend just getting out and diving on Jersey/MD/DE boats and talking/watching experienced spearfishers and asking questions. No doubt there will be at least SOMEONE spearfishing on any given trip in these areas. And if youre going to be spearfishing in these places its best to be comfortable diving them first (if youre not already). So you'll learn something and get some good diving in at the same time. Then add in the extra task of spearfishing. Whichever route you take just make sure you have fun and good luck!

Check out the site in my sig.

Back
Top Bottom