Anacapa on the Peace - This Sat 4/16 - Spots Available!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Arnaud and I are going on the Peace this Saturday, April 16th for a trip scheduled to go to Anacapa Island. The Peace is moored in Ventura.

As you may know, the Peace boards the night before (and the morning of) and departs at 7:00 AM.

My understanding is this is a very light load, and there are spots left. How there are spots left, when the weekend swell and weather forecast are the nicest they've been in ages up there, I don't know - but there are spots left.

If you're looking for a great boat dive this weekend, come up an join us! The trip is booking through Malibu divers. PM me for details.

Hope to see some other 'boarders there.

---
Ken

Argh - have other commitments this weekend. Otherwise, I'd definitely sign up. I've heard nothing but good things about the Peace.

Hey, Ken... if you see my buddy Karen on board say hi to her. I wish I could go myself but I'll be worn out from doing my taxes (guess I'd better start tonight).

Dr. Bill

Wish I had seen this in time. Love the boat and the island.

Just got back.

Didn't see Karen.

It was a split charter - Sr Frogs in Bakersfield (I've dived with that crew before) and Malibu Divers.

It was one of the smoothest crossings ever. Very, very flat. The whole day was gorgeous. Flat, calm, just unreal.

The water was a little chilly. Arnaud and I were the only ones in Drysuits - the water was 53 - 54 at depth and about that on the surface. It was funny seeing your breath fog as you wait on the surface - and the sun is out and shining! I was in dry gloves, so it was all good. Everyone that came back plunged their hands into the hot tub! On our first dive (56 minutes) my buddies got a little frozen fingered.

We did 4 guppy dives - but on the 4th, most everyone sat out. There were 31 divers on the boat (!) and about 8 - 10 of us went in for #4.

The average depths of our dives (from memory... so close) were 38, 35, 29, 28. You get the idea. I think we hit 52 feet on dive one.... it was very mellow diving. Got straffed by a Sealion, saw some gigantic horn sharks, some huge crab, and of course, a brittle star or two. :wink:

Viz varied from about 20 to about 10. Not great. But very acceptable as we were really shallow.

Its a totally different ecosystem up there - I like diving there because we see different stuff than at Cat and Clemente.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Just got back.

Viz varied from about 20 to about 10. Not great. But very acceptable as we were really shallow.

---
Ken

Hey Ken,

Was there plankton bloom limiting the viz? Or, just the usual reasons?

Thanks,
Carbon

carbon:
Hey Ken,

Was there plankton bloom limiting the viz? Or, just the usual reasons?

Thanks,
Carbon

There was stuff in the water. I cannot confirm or deny that it was plankton.

Capt'n said the Northern Channel Islands usually deliver this kind of bogus viz in March - April. This was to be expected.

Yeah - like I can tell plankton from other in-water detritus.... :11ztongue It was small particulate matter. It was sort of floating around, was swirling as we dived through it, and imparing visibility. Howz that??!! :wink:

When the roto-tillers in their split fins weren't kicking it up, viz was about 15 - 20. When we weren't first in, it was like 5 - 10 (maybe.)

---
Ken

Back
Top Bottom