Greetings from Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TeqP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just thought I would put up a quick post because Claudette asked me to regarding my trip to Phuket.
I did a dive this morning off Kata beach with 25-30' viz. The water was 86F, what a big difference from 50F at Leo Carillo last Saturday.
The amount of fish and other creatures that I have not seen in person has provided me with a sensory overload, just incredible.
Saw about 8-10 lionfish just hanging out near the reef. Made me think twice about using a 3mm shorty instead of the 3mm full suit. 2 remoras were with us for most of the dive today. They liked the DM more than me but it was weird to feel them on my legs. To many others fishes and mantis shrimps to speak of.
Well, I am off to Phi Phi island tomorrow for some more great diving. Then Monday is the liveaboard to the Similans. I've got about 3GB of compact flash and I plan on using it all. I will post pics when I return to SoCal.

Dive safe,
Phil

Sounds like you're having a great time, Phil!

I look forward to the report when you get back.

Christian

Will definitely be interested in hearing what you find on Phi Phi. It was really devastated by the tsunami based on reports from a friend who manages a dive op there. I didn't realize it was open again for tourism. Please let us know what you find. I spent a few weeks there in 2001 and loved the place and the diving.

Dr. Bill

drbill:
Will definitely be interested in hearing what you find on Phi Phi. It was really devastated by the tsunami based on reports from a friend who manages a dive op there. I didn't realize it was open again for tourism. Please let us know what you find. I spent a few weeks there in 2001 and loved the place and the diving.

Dr. Bill
Hell yeah Phil!
I was wondering why you havent been responding to my post about laguna diving this weekend. Stay safe bro, hope the rest of your trip is awesome!

John

drbill:

Dr. Bill

There's more than one Phi Phi island, the one where all the deaths occured was the overdeveloped one, the other where that idiot DiCaprio movie was filmed has been open for diving for some time.

http://www.gophiphi.com/

I'm getting my vicarious thrills just reading about your dives, Phil. Thanks for finding a computer and posting. I shivered through 2 foot viz, 50F water, and unmentionalable depth yesterday looking at gorgeous huge metridium and gigantic pipes, and then through 3 foot viz and 51F water on a really neat wreck at 80fsw off the San Pedro shelf. THERE! Now you can enjoy that fabulous tropical environment even more knowing that it's still colder than a well-diggers gluteal regions here in sunny SoCal. Keep on having a great trip, and thank you again for the post.
Happy diving,
Claudette
TeqP:
Just thought I would put up a quick post because Claudette asked me to regarding my trip to Phuket.
I did a dive this morning off Kata beach with 25-30' viz. The water was 86F, what a big difference from 50F at Leo Carillo last Saturday.
The amount of fish and other creatures that I have not seen in person has provided me with a sensory overload, just incredible.
Saw about 8-10 lionfish just hanging out near the reef. Made me think twice about using a 3mm shorty instead of the 3mm full suit. 2 remoras were with us for most of the dive today. They liked the DM more than me but it was weird to feel them on my legs. To many others fishes and mantis shrimps to speak of.
Well, I am off to Phi Phi island tomorrow for some more great diving. Then Monday is the liveaboard to the Similans. I've got about 3GB of compact flash and I plan on using it all. I will post pics when I return to SoCal.

Dive safe,
Phil

Hey Phil, you back yet buddy?

John

Well, I am unfortunately back from Phuket. I had the best vacation of my life, I wish I could've stayed there longer.

Dr. Bill - We didn't dive PhiPhi Don because they said that the reef was badly damaged. We did do a dive on PhiPhi Le and IMO could see some reef damage there, but it appears to be recovering and a lot of life has returned (if it ever left). We also did a dive on Koh Bida Nok which appeared to be in fine condition.

I would highly recommend a liveaboard to anyone that likes to dive. I did a 3day/2night trip and thoroughly enjoyed every dive. I had my 50th :dazzler1: dive near Similan Island #9 (North Point). This was the first dive of the morning and I was charging my camera's battery, so i didn't get a pic of the 12'+ leopard shark. Now I have to wait and see what I can do to top my 50th when my 100th dive rolls around :D.
The amount of life that I saw was just incredible, manta ray, leopard sharks, eels, turtles, stingrays. the coral reefs were awesome. I am still grinning from ear to ear every time I talk about the trip.

here are some pics from the dives.
Pufferfish.JPG

Anglerfish.JPG

Coral.JPG

Eel.jpg

Manta.JPG

Turtle.jpg

Shark.JPG

Anemone.JPG

Nemo.jpg

Lionfish.jpg

Nemo1.jpg

This is what we saw in the evening on the liveaboard. :D
Sunset.JPG

damn Phil,
Nice pictures, and sorry you had to come back! Although its good to have you back

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom