Hathaway 4/17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASS-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
School work kept me out of the water today - but my Dad and his buddy dove at hathaway. They report that's it's really warming up (lower 40s at 40') but that the vis was low. Several local fisherman reported that "everyone" in the area suspects the pond is highly polluted this season. Apparently, a resident knocked over a full porta-potty with his car last week (into the pond) in retaliation involving a long standing dispute with fisherman. As a result, recent data will purportlely show colliform numbers that are extremely high.

Sounds like a place to avoid for a bit.

That was a *****TY thing to do

That just plain sucks, I was planning to go there with a friend next week. Looks like we'll be going elsewhere.

I hope the guy gets nailed for it. There's no good reason to ruin a lake like that.

Conditions were similar off cape ann this weekend, but without the poop. 42 degrees at the surface, low vis. The vis seem mostly reduced by larval organisms and plankton, so I expect well start seeing fish showing up real soon.

MSilvia:
The vis seem mostly reduced by larval organisms and plankton, so I expect well start seeing fish showing up real soon.

I'm praying you're right, but I'm still gonna avoid that place for a while. Unfortunately, it's gonna screw with a lot of shops and instructors who take goups there at the beginning of the season.

PeaceDog:
I'm praying you're right, but I'm still gonna avoid that place for a while. Unfortunately, it's gonna screw with a lot of shops and instructors who take goups there at the beginning of the season.

He was talking about waters off Cape Ann, not Hathaway.. Hathaway seems to have plenty of micro-organisms of its own this year, though of a different kind :wink:

-Roman.

msilvia:
Conditions were similar off cape ann this weekend, but without the poop. 42 degrees at the surface, low vis. The vis seem mostly reduced by larval organisms and plankton, so I expect well start seeing fish showing up real soon.

Weren't you at Stage Fort Park? That place never has more than a couple feet of vis!

MSilvia:

Soggy:
Weren't you at Stage Fort Park? That place never has more than a couple feet of vis!
Yeah, that's where we were. I've seen 15' there on several occasions though. Not that there's anything to look at at low tide, but on a high tide night dive I saw TONS of cool marine life. Big lobsters, ocean pout, sea ravens, etc.

Vis aside, it only sucks if you try to swim past the sand instead of heading for the rock structures. You'd probably hit the poling before seeing anything good straight out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom