large mask needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

surfsidedav

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My current mask is a Scubapro Crystal Vu w/purge. It tends to leak around the upper lip or the sides if I turn my head too quickly. I've tried a couple of friends who have the same mask with the same problem. Also tried adjusting from loose to tight to no avail. I'm a big guy so I'm starting to think the "one size fits all" isn't exactly true. No, I don't have a pumpkin head before the jokes start flying. Does anybody have any suggestions for a mask that comes in sizes or maybe one that is larger than normal?
I've done a couple of searches but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

There is no such thing as "one size fits all" in masks. (Whoever said that?) I'm sure people will have suggestions on specific "larger" masks, but really you just have to go to your local shops and try on everything you can.

FWIW, my husband is a big guy and kept looking at big/wide masks last time he bought one as that's what he though he needed. After buying one that leaked in the water even though he convinced himself it was ok in the shop, and some helpful tips from a guy in a different shop, he's realized that his face shape doesn't work with the bigger masks. Guess his head isn't as big as he thought. :)

surfsidedav:
My current mask is a Scubapro Crystal Vu w/purge. It tends to leak around the upper lip or the sides if I turn my head too quickly. I've tried a couple of friends who have the same mask with the same problem. Also tried adjusting from loose to tight to no avail. I'm a big guy so I'm starting to think the "one size fits all" isn't exactly true. No, I don't have a pumpkin head before the jokes start flying. Does anybody have any suggestions for a mask that comes in sizes or maybe one that is larger than normal?
I've done a couple of searches but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.
There aren't alot of masks that fit me. I used to dive a scubapro trivent (not discontinued) for the last 4 years I have been using the aqualung look. It fits the bridge of my nose where many others don't including cressi big-eyes

Hi surfsidedav,

I'm not sure how large your face is but you mentioned that you had use the Crystal Vu w/purge. From what I know about purge masks, they then to have some issues about the nose region.

As for masks for larger faces, you could try the Pure vision/X Vison, Cressi Matrix, Aqulung Mythos, a really large mask the Tusa M-14 Visualator or the mask that Joe at Scubatoys uses the Tusa M-30 Pano Geo.

Cheers,
SangP

Instead of looking for a mask with a larger frame (which will have a higher volume), look for a mask with a larger, wider skirt. The more surface area from the skirt, the better the seal. I have a large head and wear a Sporasub Spartak and have had great success with it. Never the less, look for coverage where you have contact from the skirt, such as above the lip and corners of the eyes.

After making some phone calls I think I'm going to try the Visulator but none of my LDS have it in stock. Does anybody have any direct opinions about this mask?

Hi surfsidedav ,

Direct opinions won't matter, what fits me may not fit you. The strange thing about the Visualator is that it fits me fine even though it is made for larger faces. The Poseidon Photica is also a decent mask.

Seriously though, you gotta try out a mask first and if possible dive to the bottom of a pool to test it better. A mask that fits great on land may still leak badly underwater. Try first then buy.

Cheers,
SangP

I too had that same mask. It was quite perfect for my round face. I loved the purge feature as well as the good field of visibility. I had mine for almost 12 years until finally the exterior cracked. I went to a lower volume of mask and noticed that I could get the same comfort (Mares) without the noticeable lines on my face. I also found that the older mask was very heavy in comparison to the newer ones. I have now less strap fussing, less leaks and less mask-induced lines. Also a skirt that molds to your cheeks and your upper lip is the way to go.

I brought in my octopus into the shop since 'trying it out in the pool' (the best way) was not an option on vacation. The fit of the mask while I had the regulator in my mouth was important.

I have a Visulator, and I love it for snorkelling, but not diving (mainly because it's a rather large air space to clear) I got a Seavision for diving.

The "Vis" is a really nice mask though. I know that Divers Direct/World Watersports carries them.

http://www.diversdirectoutlet.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom