Dive Italy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

art.chick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Used to love travelling in Italy, & now that I am scuba certified, I look at Italian dive sites on the net. Has anyone tried Elba or Capri? How about Mediterrenean sites in general or an all-mediterranian tour of dive sites?

Will be in Geita and Sardinia in July but I will be working not diving. Does anyone have any info on these areas. Never know when I might get a free day.
Chick I'll see if I can find any info for you while I'm there.

or more aptly spelled Sardegna. I was there at Decimanno (south part of island by Cagliari) for a year and a half and taught OW almost constantly to the USAF folks stationed there. Best thing I can tell you is that the coast is so jagged and the conditions so good that I never used a pool. We used coves as confined water and it was beautiful.
Hardest part was remembering to have the students facing toward the sea when we were on the surface, looking at the beach was too distracting, no bathing suit top requirements you know...

Yea well If you read many of my post, You know I'm not the best speller in the bunch. They tell me to go they dont tell me how to spell it.
Sounds like I need to work some long days so I can get a day off over there. Last time I was over there in that area I worked and just had time to sleep and find out what Grapa was. NEVER again.

Scuba-bunny has laid out some key points to shopping at LDSs! The assortments vary; the instructors sometimes are pushed to "advertise" certain brands; at least 1 brand strategically limits its own availability in regions. Then, too, there are fads; 2 years ago, a BC acquired the reputation for being "the best" locally. Everybody bought one based on the buzz & found out about the same time that it wasn't that great, certainly not worth the huge price! Listen to people who have had an item for a few dives before eating hype. Now salesmen are pushing split fins to those who want "the best." Shops are there to sell, and if you can go in having tried on someone's equipment & have a concrete idea of why you liked it, they are less likely to lead you to gear you won;'t like.

I just got back from a trip to Naples. My finace & I dove off of Procida in the Bay of Naples. We are really new to diving and this was our first saltwater/boat dive. The visabilty was about 25ft and water temp in the low 70s (~16C). We saw some fish, crabs, and Greg saw a octopus.

The guy we dove with said that the water was a little greener than normal but sometimes that happens in the spring there.

We took a tour of the Amalfi coast (absolutely beautiful). We didn't dive, but we saw some snorkeler and the water looked very clear from the surface. There also alot of little grottos along the coast.

Hope this helps.:eek:ut:

Next time go out to Capri and dive the Blue Grotto, it is even more magic underwater that in a dingy.

Greg,
I sure hope I can do this Italy thing. It sounds great!

PS Not sure how my above post got in this category; guess I got knocked off line & logged back on before I sent it. How embarrassing!

art.chick:
Used to love travelling in Italy, & now that I am scuba certified, I look at Italian dive sites on the net. Has anyone tried Elba or Capri? How about Mediterrenean sites in general or an all-mediterranian tour of dive sites?

I live and work here in Pisa Italy not far (respective) from Elba, it is an excellent place to dive, However I prefer a smaller less touristic Island to the south called Giglio, There is a perfect little B&B there called Il Porticcolo (the little port) in the town of Campese. If I can be of any help I would be happy to suggest places I know here, Ciao! Patrick :wink:

P.S.See the following site http://www.isoladelgiglio.it/

check the site www.progettoatlantide.com it's in italian, but it's lovely and there are some pictures. the diving is situated in a small island just off Sicily, and it's really nice, although very hot in mid summer.
Dive Safe!
Paolo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom