PADI Wreck dive course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Godly_Diver

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Divers,
I have just completed a PADI Advance Open Water certification class through Sports Chalet Irvine store; great instructor(s).
Now, planning to complete a PADI Wreck Dive course, if I can gather a group together, we can pick our own schedule, destination etc., according to the instructors I spoke about this yesterday. I am thinking may be towards middle of May, let me know if anyone would be interested in taking this course.
Thanks and happy diving.
R.Duzel

Godly_Diver:
Hello Divers,
I have just completed a PADI Advance Open Water certification class through Sports Chalet Irvine store; great instructor(s).
Now, planning to complete a PADI Wreck Dive course, if I can gather a group together, we can pick our own schedule, destination etc., according to the instructors I spoke about this yesterday. I am thinking may be towards middle of May, let me know if anyone would be interested in taking this course.
Thanks and happy diving.
R.Duzel

Just a suggestion, ask your instructor(s) how many wrecks they have actually penetrated?

Also you might consider taking the AOW class first, I believe you'll need at least the adventure diver stamp, i.e. deep dive, in order to take the wreck speciality.

Personally, I wouldn't go from OW straight to wreck penetration without logging a bunch of dives first to get the needed experience for dealing with buoyancy, breath control, but that's your call. Remember that several well experienced wreck divers have died diving wrecks.

http://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/rec/continue/wreckdiver.asp

do these classes teach penetration?

California Diver:

I think that's your partner's job.

But seriously, I was reading PADI material, and it say it teaches limited wreck penetration, in the light zone.
http://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/rec/continue/wreckdiver.asp

Some web sites also say penetration is not required, so before taking the course I would ask the instructor how much wreck penetration is actually done.

btw, MoonWrasse, godly diver stated that he already finished AOW.

Scott

Original Link for Dive N Surf class
http://www.divevets.com/_MESSAGE/000000a4.htm

Date: 18 Apr 2005
Time: 19:45:20 -0700
Remote Name: 216.65.211.252

Comments

It's all set in the sign-up book in the store. Academic and pool sessions are Monday and Tuesday, May 9th and 10th. Wreck dives are at Catalina - 4 dives over two days on the glass-bottomed boat, sail boat, swim platform, and Sue-Jac. Price, I think, is $75 tuition for class and pool and $175 for Catalina dives. Linda/store know pricing details. I highly recommend that you take advantage of the chance to take this class from Bruce, who is an absolutely outstanding wreck instructor who constantly updates his own skills and knowledge. I will be buzzing in and out of view, with some other classwork going on, but hope to see you there.

Hi Kathy,
Thanks for the recommendation, however I took my AOW class from SC, Irvine store instructors Mary and Mark..both great instructors with great personalities and knowledge. With all respect to Bruce, I'd rather use Mary and/or Mark's services...we are also planning a Rescue Diver class as well with my buddy diver in my AOW class. As long as we have 2 or more divers both Mary and Mark are willing to coordinate a dive schedule around our time frames. I also highly recommend these two instructors for anyone who is interested in improving their knowledge and skills. Call SC Irvine store for more info. Thanks for everyone's input and wish all happy/safe diving.\
Cheers,
R.Duzel

California Diver:

I soooo want to get penetration certification! :gr1:

Hey there Godly Diver, I'm an instructor at Dive N Surf and so is the Bruce mentioned in the post. I never actually responded to you, however; someone just posted that link under my name as a cut and paste from our own message board. It was a message I had written about our upcoming wreck class for one of our students who's become a regular buddy.

I am sure your instructors are and were just fine and I hope you understand I wasn't trying to poach you as a customer - I think someone was just trying to help out in response to your question. Of course I'm always happy to meet new dive buddies, so I hope we run across one another at some point.

Enjoy your diving!
Kathy K.

yes im an expert on penetration just not wreck penetration. i think scott knows me skills best of anyone.

Back
Top Bottom