Stowable Snorkels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to start another diatribe, but...

Mine standard one stores just fine in:
thigh pocket on dry suit
gear bag on shore

Norboo:
Has anyone tried stowable snorkels? If so, which model and would appreciate a review. Thank you.

Just bought an Oceanic pocket snorkel a few weeks ago.

It works nicely as a snorkel (pretty dry too!), and has 2 corrugated silicone sections, so it folds nicely in thirds and fits in one of the small, formerly useless small pockets on my ScubaPro BC.

It has a velcro mask attachment where 1 piece stays on the mask strap and the other on the snorkel. When you want to use it, you just mash them together and it sticks.

Terry

I bought an Apollo Prestige.

I have yet to use it, but it stows nicely when I have to work in classes and need to have a snorkel. It folds in thirds and springs back to shape when taken out.

Has anyone used one in rough conditions - as in, are any of them drier than others? In open water I have been thankful for my dry snorkel, and am not sure if I would want to be caught away from shore with a conventional non-purge, non-drytrapped snorkel.

Admittedly, it's a big clunky thng to drag around, so I have been more than tempted by the roll-up and fold-up snorkels.

MrConclusion:
Has anyone used one in rough conditions - as in, are any of them drier than others? In open water I have been thankful for my dry snorkel, and am not sure if I would want to be caught away from shore with a conventional non-purge, non-drytrapped snorkel.

Admittedly, it's a big clunky thng to drag around, so I have been more than tempted by the roll-up and fold-up snorkels.

The Oceanic fold-up that someone mentioned above has a purge. I have used mine for a little surface snorkeling and it was fine - much better than one of the roll up ones that I tried.

Jackie

Here's another thread on the subject -
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=81218

I tried this collapsible one and hated it. It didn't want to stay open or closed, and the top part of the tube is pretty small bore. It's cheap, anyway.
http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=AQUGHIS

I tried an Apollo Flex, it was a nice snorkel to use but folded into a really awkward blob. My husband uses it now as he has huge pockets anyway.

I have the Aqualung Snap now and it's not bad, though still not as nice to snorkel with as my regular Tusa Imprex Hyperdry. A decent compromise for me.

(Yeah, I seem to have a thing for collecting snorkels, but I actually snorkel a lot.)

Back
Top Bottom