Fantasy Island In May?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vols3232

Reaction score
FI is offering a special in May we are booking May 22-29. I have a few questions: 1) What unique underwater happenings occur during this time of year? (I know whale sharks have been scene lately but I understand this may not occur this late in the year) 2) Is the shark dive worth doing? 3) My wife and I understand we need to slow down and bring a magnifying glass, but we have only dove in Coz and we are new to fish identification. Are there any good fish id cards specifically for Roatan? Any suggestions regarding becoming knowledgable regarding fish identification. 4) Any trip or FI suggestions you want to include would be welcome. I intend to post a trip report when I return. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have seen all posts since asking these questions and it appears that whale sharks may or may not be there. I have been unable to find fish id cards for Roatan. Does anyone make them or are the general carribean ones the best? Any and all help would be appreciated.

vols3232:
FI is offering a special in May we are booking May 22-29. I have a few questions: 1) What unique underwater happenings occur during this time of year? (I know whale sharks have been scene lately but I understand this may not occur this late in the year) 2) Is the shark dive worth doing? 3) My wife and I understand we need to slow down and bring a magnifying glass, but we have only dove in Coz and we are new to fish identification. Are there any good fish id cards specifically for Roatan? Any suggestions regarding becoming knowledgable regarding fish identification. 4) Any trip or FI suggestions you want to include would be welcome. I intend to post a trip report when I return. Thanks in advance for your help.

vols3232:
I have seen all posts since asking these questions and it appears that whale sharks may or may not be there. I have been unable to find fish id cards for Roatan. Does anyone make them or are the general carribean ones the best? Any and all help would be appreciated.

The single best fish ID card for the Bay Islands and Belize is not a card at all. It is your motivated DiveMaster!

Combine the micro stuff that he finds for you, truly the reason you come to Roatan, and get yourself a copy of the Paul Humann Reef Fish ID Book. There is no fish id card that can help you.

The critters are so very small and niche oriented that you will have enough to do memorizing the micro enviroements that they are found within (the key to locating them!) that you'll be too busy. There are maybe 70 to 90 critters that I would put on a Roatan card, none of them much bigger than a silver dollar!

The shark dive (in your other post) is okay, its well run, but it costs money and in your dive career you'll see plenty of sharks in the wild. I would stick to the standard resort dives and find everything you can.

If you're into bagging as many dives as you can, there is one resort that is far above the rest, with unlimited shore and night dives. Then there's one with tennis courts, pool and beach, in room tv (FIBR!). There's one with a Dolphin Camp for the kids. You can go ala carte at various day dive ops. Many choices.

You may be in luck with your dates! Whale Sharks like the feast provided by the full moon!

What are your specific wants and desires as a diver, what are the needs of a (?) non diving spouse or ???

Roatanman advice is sound....however, I would strongly suggest that you purchase Paul Humann's three book combination package. Less expensive per book and you will certainly use all three!!

Regards,

Thanks for all your help. We are excited about getting wet. It would be icing to see a whale shark, but some of the small stuff like the sea horses and pipefish have us making sure we have the camera ready for the small things. We are going to purchase the book or books.

We love the Humann books. The kid got the complete set for Christmas this year and then went off to Roatan to dive. Her fish and critter inventrory list doubled after getting the books because the ID cards didn't have nearly enough species or variations of species on them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom