Worst visibility ever!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
jenazah:
Does this means I can see up at 10 feet behind me ? Cool, just swim backward.

yes, there has been copious amounts of reflective phytoplankton in the ocean, caused by a silica secretion from the cytoplasm. This allows the submerged diver to view area space up to 3 meters behind him/herself, while suspended in the aqueous environment, hence the -10 foot visibility. however, I caution against swimming backwards as that could possibly cause vertigo.

Am I the only one who noticed the surge was 4-6 feet? damn that would be a crazy time trying to stay off the reef.. :wink:

Stryker:
Am I the only one who noticed the surge was 4-6 feet? damn that would be a crazy time trying to stay off the reef.. :wink:
Actually, Dr. Stryker, you've stumbled onto the true cause of the reported negative visibility. Scottfiji's reflective silicaceous secretions respond to severe surge with a most remarkable phenomenon: Intermittent matrix allignment. As the surge compresses the silica particles, they actually allign their reflective surfaces and bounce all ambient light back at you...and even beyond you up to the reported 10 feet. If you can, spin rapidly with the surge to see what would have been in front of you. What Scottfiji calls vertigo, is actually your brain's feeble attempt to decode this image parallax. With practice, I've heard that divers can learn to see actual reef structure and organisms. If you start training hard, now, you may "see" more within a few weeks...or months.
Very rare....aren't we lucky to experience it this year???

Thank you, MaxBottomtime, for catching the report of this rare event and bringing it to our attention!

HBDiveGirl:
Actually, Dr. Stryker, you've stumbled onto the true cause of the reported negative visibility. Scottfiji's reflective silicaceous secretions respond to severe surge with a most remarkable phenomenon: Intermittent matrix allignment.
Ah, a glitch in the matrix. Should have known. :D

10404_1113534347_matrix-glitch.jpg

MaxBottomtime:
Ah, a glitch in the matrix. Should have known. :D

10404_1113534347_matrix-glitch.jpg
I think THIS IS what I saw on my last dive with Ross-O....he and Scott kept trying to tell me it was a pipe I swam through....but you somehow discovered my true location! Thanks for the documentation...I think I'll print it and add it to my dive log!
Claudette

HBDiveGirl:
I think THIS IS what I saw on my last dive with Ross-O....he and Scott kept trying to tell me it was a pipe I swam through....but you somehow discovered my true location! Thanks for the documentation...I think I'll print it and add it to my dive log!
Claudette
I hope he took you to the good pipes. We dived three pipes in an arrow formation that were covered by metridiums and large sculpins. A few weeks ago we found some more that were in line and not much life. Of course, with the five feet vis you had you could have been diving on the White Point outfall pipe and never knew the difference.
:D

MaxBottomtime:
I hope he took you to the good pipes. We dived three pipes in an arrow formation that were covered by metridiums and large sculpins. A few weeks ago we found some more that were in line and not much life. Of course, with the five feet vis you had you could have been diving on the White Point outfall pipe and never knew the difference.
:D
Viz was only 2 - 4 feet most of the time, but the 3 foot tall Metridiums and the 2.5 foot long cabezon had my FULL attention. NO-ONE told me big Metridiums were THAT gorgeous. Ross thinks we went through an oddly configured junction pipe rather than a normal straight one. I thought it was just vertical debris packed with beautiful life...the "structure" disappeared upwards into the murk. Great site!!! Ross keeps saying, "wait until you see this stuff with great viz...oh, man!" I'm having an awfully good time until then...wow, indeed. Have fun this weekend!
Claudette

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom