best place to go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weedycdragon

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
i am planning on going to the phillipines in sept/oct not sure exactly when for around 3-4 weeks can anyone tell me if this is a good time for diving and chilling out. Also as its my first time there where is the best place to go. PN seems to be the place i can find most info on about dive sites. As`i will be going with a non diver (who hopefully will be persuaded to take it up) i would like somewhere where there are things to do other than diving such as trekking etc etc, and PN seems to be about the best..is this true!!!
Where is the best place to stay..is Sabang really overcrowded. Would love a place with a pool . Also can anyone reccomend a dive shop. One of the guys im coming with speaks only french so would need one that does courses in french.
Any views on mermaid resort and divers.
Would it better to maybe split the time between to islands if so where???
Help!!!

PN? Where is that? Lapu Lapu Dive Shop on Boracay was owned and operated by some French guys a couple years ago. You do realize that you'll be there in more or less the peak typhoon season. It's not really bad once you're there but it has been know to delay and cancel flights. You may be safer to go south to Cebu/Bohol area that time of the year. Hank

Hank49:
PN? Where is that? Lapu Lapu Dive Shop on Boracay was owned and operated by some French guys a couple years ago. You do realize that you'll be there in more or less the peak typhoon season. It's not really bad once you're there but it has been know to delay and cancel flights. You may be safer to go south to Cebu/Bohol area that time of the year. Hank

Thanks Hank..I meant puerto galera..oops
Any how i read that sept oct is one of the best times for diving or is that just advertising crap. They said that there was very little chance of typhoons.
How come the resorts say oct is the high season!!!!!
Still fancy PG though but am also interested in Malapascua now those thresher sharks sound awsome...maybe do a little island hopping
If anyone has any more advice i would be grateful.
By the way has anyone been diving in Jeddah (red sea) and if so with who, i have just started working in Saudi arabia and want to get a way for a few weekends.
Thanks wcd

Weedy,

Since you mention Sabang I guess you must mean PG (Puerto Galera) not PN. Hank49's remarks about the typhoon season don't apply so much to PG as Boracay. Boracay faces west and is very exposed so it gets the full brunt of the monsoon winds during typhoon season. PG on the other hand faces north and is protected by several islands, Luzon among others. It will get a bit of rain but they lose virtually no diving days. The rainy season doesn't affect the viz in PG as there are no rivers nearby so no significant runoff. Also, as Hank49 says, most of the Visayas (Cebu, Bohol, Southern Leyte) will be OK.

I've spent a lot of time in PG, but not sure that I know anyone that does courses in French. I'm sure they exist but none come to mind. Lot's of German and Scandahooligan instructors, but can't think of any French. I'll be glad to ask a few people if you like. Just drop me a PM or reply to this post.

There are those that like Sabang and those that don't. Is it crowded? I live in China and by Chinese terms, no its not crowded. However, there is no urban planning, buildings built on top of each other and the only quite time is between 4:00am and 4:30am. By 4:00am most people have crawled home from the bars and have stopped making noise and then about 4:30am the roosters start crowing and people are out sweeping and talking.

I fall into the crowd that only goes there when I need to change money, go to the deli or shop (not that there is a lot to buy). I tend to stay on Small Lalaguna, which is next to Sabang. Its quited and the dive shop I use is there.

If you like partying and visiting a girlie bar or two, then Sabang may be the place for you. If you like solitude or a family atmosphere I would recommend Small or Big Lalaguna. Big Lala is on the other side of a headland from Small Lala, there are steps that go up and over the hill.

There are several resorts with pools on all three beaches.

Hope this helps and enjoy PG, the diving is superb!

Drew

Hi Weedy / Buddha,

surprised you haven't heard of the guy that runs the shop over on white beach, believe the shop is called Pacific Divers and the owner is named Didier. I spent a week over there with family and a few non divers. He's a bit out of the way when it comes to dives off of Sabang but not that bad if you plan to do a couple of dives out. Pretty sure that he tries to keep french speakers around whether he is there or not - last trip there was Didier, a very green french DM and a great / wild Swedish DM named Freddy. Fun shop but keep an eye on your gf / wife around Didier, he seemed to like my wife quite a lot :wink:.

Also nice to do some of the lesser done sites like the Batangas channel and Hibo while you are over on that side. Do you get over to Hibo often Buddha? While the coral may have suffered over there the general 'topography' underwater is beautiful. We also saw turtles on a majority of dives and a few eagle rays if i remember properly, I enjoyed it. Some deep, deep water over there . . .

happybuddha:
Weedy,

Since you mention Sabang I guess you must mean PG (Puerto Galera) not PN. Hank49's remarks about the typhoon season don't apply so much to PG as Boracay. Boracay faces west and is very exposed so it gets the full brunt of the monsoon winds during typhoon season. PG on the other hand faces north and is protected by several islands, Luzon among others. It will get a bit of rain but they lose virtually no diving days. The rainy season doesn't affect the viz in PG as there are no rivers nearby so no significant runoff. Also, as Hank49 says, most of the Visayas (Cebu, Bohol, Southern Leyte) will be OK.

I've spent a lot of time in PG, but not sure that I know anyone that does courses in French. I'm sure they exist but none come to mind. Lot's of German and Scandahooligan instructors, but can't think of any French. I'll be glad to ask a few people if you like. Just drop me a PM or reply to this post.

There are those that like Sabang and those that don't. Is it crowded? I live in China and by Chinese terms, no its not crowded. However, there is no urban planning, buildings built on top of each other and the only quite time is between 4:00am and 4:30am. By 4:00am most people have crawled home from the bars and have stopped making noise and then about 4:30am the roosters start crowing and people are out sweeping and talking.

I fall into the crowd that only goes there when I need to change money, go to the deli or shop (not that there is a lot to buy). I tend to stay on Small Lalaguna, which is next to Sabang. Its quited and the dive shop I use is there.

If you like partying and visiting a girlie bar or two, then Sabang may be the place for you. If you like solitude or a family atmosphere I would recommend Small or Big Lalaguna. Big Lala is on the other side of a headland from Small Lala, there are steps that go up and over the hill.

There are several resorts with pools on all three beaches.

Hope this helps and enjoy PG, the diving is superb!

Drew
Hi Bud and scooby

Thanks for all the info bud..i think we may head over to small la laguna...are you talking Patong beach phuket standard for sabang??? I really wasnt expecting it to be so full on from what ive read.
Not really looking for girlie bars...i wont mention them to my husband!!!!
Think i will also check out white beach though, exactly how far away from the action is it, i mean im sure we will want night life every once in a while.. are there some places to hang out over there or do you have to head out to sabang and if so how long will it take?

can you guys recommend a dive shop there are just so many to choose from.
i think ifound a french place in Big laguna...la laguna beach resort hotel, anyone heard of it???
Might have to check out didier though!!!

You guys have any plans for diving soon?
Cant wait to get out again last diving was in september and we are both itching to get our fins wet again.
Thanks again guys, any more info would be gratefully accepted , like must do dives and places to hang out
bye for now
weedy

weedycdragon:
Thanks for all the info bud..i think we may head over to small la laguna...are you talking Patong beach phuket standard for sabang??? I really wasnt expecting it to be so full on from what ive read.
Not really looking for girlie bars...i wont mention them to my husband!!!!

Patong has advanced urban planning compared to Sabang, Sabang is stuck on a little beach between the mountains and the sea and everything is built very haphazardly. There is only one concrete road that goes out of Sabang and it runs to Puerto Galera proper. Its not concrete all the way and can get slippery and buddy.

Sorry about the girlie bar comment, they don't do much for me either.

weedycdragon:
Think i will also check out white beach though, exactly how far away from the action is it, i mean im sure we will want night life every once in a while.. are there some places to hang out over there or do you have to head out to sabang and if so how long will it take?

White beach is about 20 minues by banka (local outrigger boat) or by jeepney (local land transportation inspired by army jeeps left after WWII). To take a jeepney go the the concrete road leading out of Sabang and one or more will be waiting near the Tropicana Resort. Its about 15 pesos from Sabang to PG, then change and catch another jeepney to White Beach, which is another P15 or there abouts. That means the trip is about US$ 0.55, much cheaper than hiring a banka, but the banka trip is nice way to see the island. Banka is probably P200-350 (US$ 4-6) one way I guess, haven't done that in a long time.

If you go to the next beach over from White Beach, Talipanan Beach, there is a great restaurant run by an Italian guy that does great pizza. Can't remember the name, but it is literally the last place on the beach.

weedycdragon:
can you guys recommend a dive shop there are just so many to choose from.
i think ifound a french place in Big laguna...la laguna beach resort hotel, anyone heard of it???
Might have to check out didier though!!!

I always dive with Asia Divers and Tech Asia (sister shops) both on Small Lala. The Point over Asia Divers is a really good bar.

Since you were looking for a pool you should check El Galleon (same group as Asia Divers) and Mabuhay. They both have pools.

LBC is run by a couple of Aussies (Frank and Donno) and they have a very good reputation, and a pool. They may have a French instructor, I'm not sure.

weedycdragon:
You guys have any plans for diving soon?
Cant wait to get out again last diving was in september and we are both itching to get our fins wet again.
Thanks again guys, any more info would be gratefully accepted , like must do dives and places to hang out
bye for now
weedy

Don't know when I'll get back to PG, but I'm going to Truk with a group from Asia Divers in May
04.gif

Safe diving,
Drew

Sabang is nothing like Patong/Phuket. You can walk around the whole "town" in 10 minutes. There are a few bars and gogos and maybe a dozen restaurants. Little Luguna and Big Laguna beaches are a 5 minute walk from town. These beaches are small rocky beaches, not white long sandy beaches. There is really not much to do here other than dive, though they do advertise golf and trecking for non-divers. To put it bluntly, the Phils is a great place for eco-travel and roughing-it...but safety and hygenic standards are often low, especially as soon as you leave the comfort of a foreign owned hotel or resort. Food in the Phils is generally bland and starchy.

In Sabang (Puerta Gallera is a little port town about 20 mins. away by boat), I would recommend El Galleon Resort/Asia Divers or Atlantis. They are the bigger operations around. The Portofino is still probably the best accomodation on the beaches. In town, you could try the Tropicana. Between these places, you should find a French-speaking instructor. Just email them.

Since you have so much time, I would also recommend a diving safari taking in the Visayan Islands. These are the islands that make-up the central-portion of the Philippines (Cebu, Bohol, Leyte, Negros, etc.). In this way, you could dive Malapascue, Cabilao (both Cebu), Alona Beach (Bohol), and Dauin (Negros). You would get a great variaty of diving from open-water, wall, and muck. One operator who manages a string of dive operations is Seaexplorers. http://www.sea-explorers.com/e/ They can arrange you travel throught this area...going by boat from resort to resort. The owner is Swiss so there is a good chance he speaks French (I spoke to him in English).

Good luck and happy diving.

weedycdragon:
Hi
i am planning on going to the phillipines in sept/oct not sure exactly when for around 3-4 weeks can anyone tell me if this is a good time for diving and chilling out. Also as its my first time there where is the best place to go. PN seems to be the place i can find most info on about dive sites. As`i will be going with a non diver (who hopefully will be persuaded to take it up) i would like somewhere where there are things to do other than diving such as trekking etc etc, and PN seems to be about the best..is this true!!!
Where is the best place to stay..is Sabang really overcrowded. Would love a place with a pool . Also can anyone reccomend a dive shop. One of the guys im coming with speaks only french so would need one that does courses in french.
Any views on mermaid resort and divers.
Would it better to maybe split the time between to islands if so where???
Help!!!

Cebu or Bohol would be good places to go diving. In Cebu, there is Moalboal, http://www.moalboal.org.uk/diveshop/ with a lot of dive shops operated by foreigners and the house reef is just yards away. If you're tired of diving, you can always go to Cebu, which is 2 hours away. There is also Mactan Island where a lot of the major resorts are located and Malapascua island. The latter is north of Cebu and very secluded. Here's a link on one of the resorts in that island, http://www.malapascua.net/index1.html.
In Bohol, there's a lot of dive spots as well, there's Panglao and Balicasag islands to name a few, http://www.bohol.ph/article22.html.

In short, there's *A LOT* of great dive sites in the Philippines and any of the suggestions folks have provided are as good or even better :) Cant go wrong.

Thanks for all the great info guys...i have a lot of researching to do...half the fun and i have plenty of time as i cant go until october!
I am getting really itchy fins just reading about all the great dives sites.
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom