D70 Firmware upgrade announced.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The D70 firmware upgrade improves AF accuracy, and adds some other minor functionality the was added in the D70s release.

IMO if you have a D70, this is a VERY recommended update as it adds functionality that adds value unlike some upgrades that fix minor feature bugs in areas that are rarely used.

RonFrank:
The D70 firmware upgrade improves AF accuracy, and adds some other minor functionality the was added in the D70s release.

IMO if you have a D70, this is a VERY recommended update as it adds functionality that adds value unlike some upgrades that fix minor feature bugs in areas that are rarely used.

I went to the Nikon Support site and didn't see it.

Thanks

Ken

I've heard that it will be out in mid-May

Karl

RonFrank:

i went into a local camera shop and was asking them about the D70s, they said that it was more than a firm ware upgrade to the old D70.

as well as the 2" screen they told me it had completely new insides, he said and i quote "the D70s has the same electronics as the D2x, that is a £3,500 camera and the best out there, you will not get a better camera than the D70s at the moment in terms of value for money!"

i think i will check dpreview and see what they say about it.

will the larger screen fit in the ike housing?

clive francis:

as well as the 2" screen they told me it had completely new insides, he said and i quote "the D70s has the same electronics as the D2x, that is a £3,500 camera and the best out there, you will not get a better camera than the D70s at the moment in terms of value for money!"

i think i will check dpreview and see what they say about it.

will the larger screen fit in the ike housing?

I think you better find a new dealer who either has a bit more clue or a bit more honest about his product. D70s has basically the same autofocus system, CCD etc as D70.
Two biggest change was the bigger LCD (yes, it will fit in Ikelite housing) and ability to add wireless control.
Nikon would not be stupid enough to do something like what the guy claimed only months after arelease of D2X. Btw, at the price point of D70/D70s, it is still an excellent value even without D2X inside :)

ssra30:
I think you better find a new dealer who either has a bit more clue or a bit more honest about his product. D70s has basically the same autofocus system, CCD etc as D70.
Two biggest change was the bigger LCD (yes, it will fit in Ikelite housing) and ability to add wireless control.
Nikon would not be stupid enough to do something like what the guy claimed only months after arelease of D2X. Btw, at the price point of D70/D70s, it is still an excellent value even without D2X inside :)

didn't mean the same ccd meant the same electronics/algorithms.

it has the addition of a cable remote, prediction/tracking auto focus so it is not just a basic firmware upgrade, yes it is the same 5 point cam, but there is more of a step from the d70 to a d70s than people think.

It sounded like his claim was a bit extreme though: "completely new inside" that's a bit exaggerated. Same CAM900 autofocus system, same CCD-that's a big chunk of electronic inside that are the same. Algorithms can be changed via firmware and the new firmware for D70 supposed to improve the autofocus/tracking of D70 upto D70s status. Again, at best, this is just way way overhype by your guy (and yes, I did play with D70s a bit at local Nikon dealer here).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom