LA Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ippy01

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm always a little nervous about posting -- don't want to be flamed for not having read previous posts. So, please forgive me if this has been covered many times in the past. I am in LA for business frequently and have never tried to squeeze in a driving trip. I have read all about Catalina and it sounds great -- but more than I care to take on at this time (if you haven't already read MCCABEJC's "Great Catalina Island Info Sticky Thread" you owe it to yourself to do so.....he did a great service to this board by pulling this together). My question then, is: If I am staying in the Long Beach area, are there good day trips available? Who are the operators I should go with (assuming there are good, time-efficient day trips)? Are there decent trips right around the Long Beach or Laguna Nigel areas?

Thank you very much for any help you can provide!

ippy01:
I'm always a little nervous about posting -- don't want to be flamed for not having read previous posts. So, please forgive me if this has been covered many times in the past. I am in LA for business frequently and have never tried to squeeze in a driving trip. I have read all about Catalina and it sounds great -- but more than I care to take on at this time (if you haven't already read MCCABEJC's "Great Catalina Island Info Sticky Thread" you owe it to yourself to do so.....he did a great service to this board by pulling this together). My question then, is: If I am staying in the Long Beach area, are there good day trips available? Who are the operators I should go with (assuming there are good, time-efficient day trips)? Are there decent trips right around the Long Beach or Laguna Nigel areas?

Thank you very much for any help you can provide!

Ippy,

Most of the dive boats out of Long Beach will be full day affairs (leave ~7am back around 5 pm). I know you were concerned about Catalina being too much but in fact you can go to Catalina in the early morning get two dives in and be back in Long Beach by 3 or 4 PM. This is because the Catalina Express which provides ferry service to Avalon from Long Beach is faster than most of the local dive boats. Really if you can get away for the better part of a day Catalina is the way to go.

If you are limited to just 4 or 5 hours you will pretty much have to do a shore dive. Palos Verdes is closest, but Laguana Beach is possible too. If I had just one shore dive to do I would recommend Long Point in Palos Verdes. If you go to sandeaters.org, go to their calendar and click on Long Point/Maireland you will get a good description of the site. Night diving at Vetren's Park in Redondo Beach is an option too.

Good luck.

Andy

Here is a page that lists california dive boats:
http://www.californiadiveboats.com/

great escape, sundiver, bottom scratcher, and island time are all great choices; island time does half-day trips; they are run out of long beach or san pedro.

I highly recommend taking a boat trip instead of the ferry to catalina for your first scuba experience here, it will require the least amount of effort.

The trips will go to catalina.

the island diver does 1/2 day trips.

scott

scottfiji:
Here is a page that lists california dive boats:
http://www.californiadiveboats.com/

great escape, sundiver, bottom scratcher, and island time are all great choices; island time does half-day trips; they are run out of long beach or san pedro.

I highly recommend taking a boat trip instead of the ferry to catalina for your first scuba experience here, it will require the least amount of effort.

The trips will go to catalina.

the island diver does 1/2 day trips.

scott

Thank you Scottfiji and Mr Carcharodon -- great info. Much appreciated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom