Is a pony safe to dive in the kelp forest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Narcd_dvr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi SoCal divers,
I was wondering if folks in this forum can share their opinions if its even safe to dive with a pony in the kelp forest.
My apologies for bringing up the pony subject as it is a touchy topic :)

Many thanks,
Subzero..

When I dive with my pony (which is rare), I sling it under my arm. Most folks around here mount it on their main tank.I have never seen anyone get into trouble with it. As long as you are comfortable with de-tangling yourself, I would say it is safe.

Most people may mount their ponies on their back tanks, but not me. I also sling it under my left arm and have a lot of dives in kelp. If you use the same care to not get tangled as you usually would, I don't think you'd have a problem.

I too, sling one on my left side-DIR style rigged (although I'm far from DIR). If it hangs up on something it's easier to untangle. The only time I've had any real trouble with kelp was with a scooter, and thought I'd plow right through it. I did, eventually :eyebrow: Even then it's no big deal to get untangled.

I've done many hundreds of dives in the kelp forests here with my pony bottle. Mine is a 13 cu ft bottle attached upside down to my primary tank. That positioning not only allows easier access to the valve, but also seems to result in a lower probability of getting hung up on kelp as I weave through it.

Dr. Bill

I concur with the others. Have made kelp dives with ponies 13, 19, 30 and 40cuft. I sling mine and have never had a problem.

subzero:
Hi SoCal divers,
I was wondering if folks in this forum can share their opinions if its even safe to dive with a pony in the kelp forest.
My apologies for bringing up the pony subject as it is a touchy topic :)

Many thanks,
Subzero..

They generally have more problems than what it is worth.
My biggest complaint is they are really big air hogs, and the fact that they can't swim well in the kelp. I never bring my pony diving.

Thanks everyone for your input, certainly appreciate it. Currently, I have my 19cuft mounted upside down on my main tank and I've been thinking for some time of mounting it left side DIR-style.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom