Does anyone see the trend that's forming?

When is this a technical discussion arena?

• Rarely

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Often

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Always

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that most of the people posting in the tech section are not doing anything really well technical, and the questions are well not technical at all?
It appears that people are jumping on the technical bandwagon, with several posts from people who aren't even certified. There are several people in the bunch who are very helpful (UP and Lost Yooper, the list could continue) but finding something here dealing with matters of concern to people doing dives that require discussion are rare.

Are you observing, complaining, proposing or just polling? To answer your question accurately, one must have an accurate definition of "technical."
I know what it means to me, but what does it mean to you?
Rick

Originally posted by Rick Murchison
To answer your question accurately, one must have an accurate definition of "technical."
I know what it means to me, but what does it mean to you?
Rick

Rick beat me to the question so I'll give my own answer:

Any of the following are technical to my mind:

Diving with multiple gas mixtures switched in water

Diving with rebreather units (any sort)

Diving with other than nitrogen based mixtures

Wreck or cave penetration (serious line penetration, not just swimming through a compartment)

The following are NOT technical to my mind:

Deep air (with no other gasses)
Nitrox
Exterior wreck diving
Cavern diving

I'm sure there's more but it's early....

Tom

that unless you are DIR you are not welcome here... maybe we should just change the name of the section???

Or would you have that those of us who are going in a technical direction but are not certified yet just abandon this arena until such time that we are admitted here by presenting our C-cards.

Yeah, I see some trends that I don't like, and I'm gonna get flamed again for expressing them! Patience is a virtue...

this section is very helpful and interesting. I feel that Non DIR folks are welcome here too, it's a good place to learn and have questions answered, and generally my favorite area of my favorite board. Maybe there could be a separate "DIR" section, and I'd read that too, but I don't think it's really necessary.

The "Do you like DIR?" discussions get kinda old, so I don't read em.

Those of us who aren't technical look to those who are for advice -- as tech divers are more knowledgeable and experienced in advanced forms of diving (in some cases, anyway)....

Please bear with us unworthy rec divers ;-)

There are some nuggets here. Even though it is predominately folks just starting to consider going technical, some of the answers here are excellent and good refreshers/reminders. The regulars demonstrate a significant amount of patience and answer questions throughly.

The fact that this board is civil and doesn't lower itself to personal attacks is refreshing. As with a lot of things, read what you want, keep what you want, discard the rest.

DSAO.
Larry

Originally posted by large_diver
Those of us who aren't technical look to those who are for advice -- as tech divers are more knowledgeable and experienced in advanced forms of diving (in some cases, anyway)....

Please bear with us unworthy rec divers ;-)
Yeah, that's how I see it too.

Like any other info source there is good info here and not so good from people who really dive and people who don't. Sometimes opinions clash in less than a friendly manner. For the most part I think the strict DIR folks are as reasonable and friendly as the rest. While I hold tech and cave certs and conduct cave/tech dives, my diving and experience is no where near as extreme as some. I enjoy talking with those both more and less experienced and have learned from both. I do not think one needs to be a "tech" or "DIR" diver to post here. On a side note I have noticed one trend both on this board and elsewhere. It seems to me that the most experienced divers that I know and meet, while they may be biased toward the way they do things, are not strict DIR or anything else. They seem to be people who take a foundation be it DIR, Hogarthian or whatever and make adjustments to suit their needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom